DCOMbob.exe? Virus? LOL

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by notageek, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I ran McAfee VS7.0 and it came back saying DCOMbob.exe might be a virus. LOL The only DCOMbob.exe I rememver downloading is the one from GRC.com. I ran NOD and it my system came out clean. Is this a false positive on McAfee's part? I would say it is but I would LIke another opion. (maybe more) lol

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

notageek,

"might be" a virus - most probably a false positive.

Hop over to our free services page, and submit the file for free examination to KAV for example, in case you feel like another reliable check.

regards.

paul

3. notageek

Thanks Paul I quarantined the file.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The DCOMbob.exe is in the file from gibson research It runs the decombobulator to close port 135.

Hope this helps

:)surf safe :)

5. notageek

Thanks bigc. I know it's from GRC. I was just wondering if it's flase positive from McAfee VS7.0 BUt I see now that it is cuz I ran 2 online scans and the KAV file scan and it came out clean. I have let McAfee know about this false positive.

6. frazky

frazky Registered Member

Norton antivirus 2005 says its infected with a trojan after a recent scan on my pc..DCOMBOB has been on my pc for a year.. probably a secondary infection via something else.... but I havent run my copy of dcombob for 9 months or more... so maybe the origianl file was dodgy?.. :doubt:
    I would suggest that the lay person not dowload anything except from 'prestigious name' sites.

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Mcafee always has reported on the decombob it is a false positive. the newer versions of mcafee don't report on it. it is probably a false positive on nortons part as well. you need to run a2 or ewido or TDs3 to confirm it is actually infected

bigc

8. dog

dog Guest

Just an FYI on a GRC Discussions Thread - Here - If anyone wants to follow this thread.
    Symantec KB article {Hacktool.DCOMScan} - http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/hacktool.dcomscan.html
    Interestingly enough ->Discovered on: August 25, 2003
    Last Updated on: September 12, 2003 12:43:49 AM

9. Birddog

Birddog Guest

I run McAfee Enterprise 8.0i DAT4640 and this was just "discovered" on my machine today. It fould all 3 locations I had saved it too.

10. Carver

Carver Guest

I download it to shut port 135, I scaned it with Ewido and NOD32, came up clean. I would say it was a FP

11. RainR

RainR Guest

Look at what the Mcafee report actually says:

C:\DCOMBOB.EXE\DCOMBOB.EXE ... Found potentially unwanted program RpcDcom.b.

"potentially unwanted program"

Not "virus". Not "trojan". Not "dodgy file". It's a perfectly accurate detection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.