DCFirewall - open source

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bellgamin, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

My search of Wilders for DCFirewall came up empty.

Here is FWT's description thereof...
    I am NOT a good FW-tester, so I hope that someone here has taken DCFirewall for a test drive. Anyone?

2. Velnias

Velnias Registered Member

Looks good, however not finished yet and TCP only.

3. RabbitFighter

RabbitFighter Registered Member

I didn't download and try it, however, the screenshot from their site shows TCP and UDP.

Attached Files:

4. Solaris

Solaris Registered Member

Visual Basic ?
    :gack: No; thanks.

5. bellgamin

Why? Explain, please.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Anyone notice anything odd in that screenshot?

7. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Yeah, OutpostFirewallo_O?

8. Solaris

Yes, of course :)

Because Visual Basic is not a good language for a code optimized.
    Write code doesn’t take a lot of time, yes, but that's like the fast food: quick done, ill-digested.;)
    VB is not the fastest language; so, for application which needs fast instructions, it’s certainly not the good choice .. . .but so easy to develop vs. C/C++.
    The multi-threading ability was introduce in the very last version of VB 6 . . .not before. I hated write code with this language. It's not a 'fun' language.
    And more, VB is dead. VB.net is not a Visual basic ‘new version’.

9. bellgamin

Many thanks for the information. Nicely done!

However, VB is not inherently *weak* (open to exploits, etc) for use in a security application, is it?

10. Solaris

You’re welcome :)

No, I don’t think. It’s a ‘high level language’ but if you don’t use a library/objet weak, it’ without problem. But I’m not specialized with VB, and also with the security.
    What about the runtime? VB6 runtime has long existed, I think it would been exploited since a long time.

11. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Hoping one of our resident Firewall-experts will test out this app. for us... Hey, maybe Wordward (or Duke1959) will give it a try. He dLo's everything. :D ;) :p

12. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

ROTFL. I miss you 19monty64. I am making an honest effort to wean myself from these forums and my security software addiction. Mamutu and Avira are helping with this somewhat as I really like them. I will of course have to resort to freeware again when their license's expire. LOL. I did just install Comodo again, but honestly I just didn't feel I need a firewall. It ran well and I liked it a lot, but something about it makes me a little weary. I may install BOClean again as it runs in memory. As far as an open source firewall however, it makes me even more leery than using Comodo. LOL. I will be trying to stay from Wilders again in a couple of days so if I don't see any of your posts take care and thanks for all the laughs.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  13. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I have tested that when I seek alternative to GhostWall. I can't remember my test results but I still use GhostWall :D

14. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

I've tested this firewall since a week ago, and I must say I'm very impressed.

It isn't half as decent as most firewalls with its bland GUI but it does it's job as a basic firewall. Nothing more, nothing less.

What I love about this neat little app is the fact that it can run in Windows 95, in USB flash disks, and uses little to no system resources.
    And it's the best open-source firewall I have used yet.

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have used this one many times. It is a portable app, so that makes it useful. It does only tcp, no udp, so it's usefulness is limited. However it does detect applications and show what is open.

Open source firewall best for me so far has been Isafer. Very simple, does tcp/udp both. Not the very best interface, but simple enough. Granularity is only so-so. One good thing about it is that on high security level, nothing passes that is not on the list. Since there are no pop-ups, you have to look at the log to find if an app is blocked. Fortunately you can add it to the rules from the log easily.

Oddly, that firewall allows SandboxIE to pass right through it. Set an ip rule to block basically everything, but start a browser in SB and it goes right through. Makes me wonder just how secure it is. But for opensource it does work nice.

Sul.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s nice as portable. Good to use on an infected machine to see if something is calling for outbound access. Only problem that there is no option to allow once.

@Sully

Are u sure it does not do UDP?

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Seems it does UDP.

Attached Files:

18. Sully

Sully Registered Member

You see that in the application rules yes. Try to make an packet rule, you can only choose tcp, others are grayed out. Only way I know of to even get udp to show is by creating an application rule. However since you cannot control tcp/udp, effectively leaves only tcp.

So whether or not it actually does anything to udp is beyond my powers of guessing. Since I cant' actually shut down a udp port or address, I cannot test it.

Any thoughts?

Sul.

19. Sully

Sully Registered Member

lol, some more extensive testing on my end show the firewall works, most of the time :) On my end anyway, it does not truly stop anything all the time. I blocked my dns servers, and nslookup still goes out, google page content is recieved, but not the ads. I tried with dnscaching both enabled and disabled, with same results.

Maybe it will be the new rage for an ad-blocker?

At least it is portable ;)

Sul.

20. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

It's consuming too much resources (CPU) in my system. This play against it. Without this I like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.