Days numbered for DefenseWall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by qakbot, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

I was looking for something to block writes to the MBR and started looking up DefenseWall.

I then saw this on the defenseWall website http://www.softsphere.com/

For Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 32-bit.
    Shareware, 30-days full-functional trial.
    Personal Firewall edition of DefenseWall=HIPS one + bi-directional network connections control.
    Current version is 3.19.

NO Windows 7 64-bit support. This is probably not news to many of you, but it was to me. With Windows definitely headed in the direction of 64-bit, is it the end of the road for DefenseWall. I ask because I suspect that in order to do what DefenseWall does, it probably patches the dispatch table in the kernel and that does not work on 64-bit due to patchguard.

What are DefenseWall's plans for 64-bit ?

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

From my quick search here at Wilders and Defensewall support forums, though I could very easily have missed a post, it looks like that ship long sailed. I would think if it hadn't been done by now, considering Defensewall has been around some time, it probably won't happen. Windows 8 will have a 32 bit version, though I suspect most store systems will be 64. So, Defensewall can still survive a while longer. I will agree though that eventually the lack of 64bit will probably end its life.

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

4. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Thanks. Is there some other program that can be used to reliably block writes to the MBR on Win7 64-bit ?

5. ComputerSaysNo

ComputerSaysNo Registered Member

Look at APPGUARD. It has MBR protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.