Daughter off to the Navy need mobile apps suggestions

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Code_Blue, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Code_Blue

Code_Blue Registered Member

My daughter will be leaving for Navy Basic Training in September. As a High School graduation present we are giving her a new Toshiba laptop (already purchased). It came with McAfee software preloaded but I have already removed it. I have not liked McAfee for some time now and do not even use the free McAfee offered with our ISP, Comcast.

Because she is not likely to be nearly as concerned with her computer security as I would like her to be, I would like suggestions about which Apps I should consider that would be a good combination of user friendly, secure and needing as little user intervention as possible.

I considered free Apps such as Avast AV, Comodo FW (v.3 when released), BoClean, Spyware Teminator and some others because they would not require her to re-purchase her licenses, but I'm not sure how that would cover her in what will likely be a worldwide experience.

I am considering Norton Internet Security, ZoneAlarm Internet Security and Kaspersky Internet Security.

Her OS is Vista Home Premium, she has 1 Gb of Ram and an AMD Dual Core Processor @ 1.8 GHz.

Also, anyone with experience W/ any armed forces specific issues R/T personal computer use etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks folks in advance,

Tom

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Tom - I can tell you that she will not be able to use pc for her duration of RTC. She will be allowed to have her pc after, when she goes to her "A" school. Personally I would tell her not to take much with her on the trip to RTC they take most everything when you get there, I know I went with the clothes on my back and my shave kit! ;)
    As for security software, I would say she would be safe with KIS, NIS etc. The only places she will be allowed to plug in is at her barracks, Apartment or when she is in a foreign port at her own expense.
    HTH

BTW I was in 2001-2007

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I agree that at her initial training station she won't be allowed to use the comp. I would also suggest that she doesn't take it till after her training.

4. Code_Blue

Code_Blue Registered Member

Thanks folks,

Our son is now in his first year...Japan with the 7th Fleet. We are very proud of them especially considering that they were not born in the US and both wanted to serve their new country.

I think that I will likely use Norton then unless I hear any good reason not to do so.

Tom

5. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I think she should be quite fine with NIS 2007 on her notebook.
    Good luck to her and tell her to remember that it is all just a mind game! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.