Dates are confusing

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Mele20, Jun 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Why do the posts in the forums say "posted yesterday" or "posted today" instead of giving the date? The date would be better because I just saw a post in the NOD32 forum which says posted Yesterday, 02:27 AM
    Then under that my reply from a few minutes ago which says
    Today, 01:43 PM

The problem here is that that the post labeled "yesterday, 02:27AM" was posted today at 2:27AM not yesterday!! I almost missed this post and it was important because it was a reply to me from a Eset moderator about something I was concerned about. I almost missed the post because nothing was bolded when I came here today after having closed my browser around 3:30AM. I have to live with this inconsistent way of not bolding threads I haven't read and I can't also live with the dates on the posts being incorrect because the only way I can tell if I have read something here or not is to look at the date as bolded simply doesn't work if I was here earlier and could not read the posts then but had to wait until later.

I noticed around 3AM today that there were a number of new posts in the NOD32 forum but I didn't read them as I had spent my time writing two long PM's here and it was late and so I retired. Twelve hours later, same day, I see those posts and they all say "yesterday" but they were all posted after 12AM June 24 so they should say posted today! Better yet just put the actual date on them instead of "yesterday" and "today".

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi Mele,

By any chance, have you checked your User CP to double-check that you've got "displayed" time adjusted to your local time?

I'm in Eastern time, so it happens that my local time and "board time" are the same without adjustment (other than allowing for Daylight time). And for me, the change from "today" to "yesterday" correctly occurs at midnight.

Admittedly it threw me a little the first time I posted something just before midnight, went to look at another topic, and came back to find that my posting was "yesterday". But you can get used to that.

Best,
    Mike

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Mele,

I'm sorry but you are wrong about what days those posts were made. The "yesterday" or "today" references are accurate, even if they are sometimes confusing. Since you didn't link to the specific posts I looked at your most recent posts and located the one you were referencing in the NOD32 forum. This appears to be the thread in question:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=36653

Since we're all in different time zones, with some of us on daylight savings and some not, it'll be difficult to relate the times without some confusion, so I'll list the UTC timestamps directly from the database.

Your post (post id: 20384:cool: was posted at Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:43:04 UTC. Marcos' post (post id: 202521) just above your's was made at Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:27:48 UTC. That was 35 1/4 hours earlier, which makes sense because its post ID is 1327 less than yours and we generally do between 700 and 800 posts per day here.

It is possible that a future version of vBulletin will allow member's to control date display formats individually, but that option is not available here right now so everyone shares the same format, though obviously not timezone settings.

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yes, I can see now that I am wrong, but that makes this even worse! That means that the problem that I struggle with here ever since the switch to this new software, made me miss an important post. This is just another reason, a very important one, that I will be giving Eset when I ask them (as others already have recently) to move the NOD32 forum in house and close it to non registered NOD32 users.

I come here at least twice a day, sometimes several times more than that, and this non bolding of threads I have not yet read, particularly ones I have posted in, has proven to be a major headache for me. I have tried everything I can think of to work around the problem but this incident just shows that the ways I am trying to cope aren't working. I don't want to be missing important posts about my av, of all things, especially when the posts are directed specifically at me. Eset communicates erratically by email (sometimes great, fast responses and sometimes never any response) so I can't rely on that method. I don't suppose you have any more suggestions of how to cope with this software? Your old software was a million times better than this and it wasn't all that great, but I'd take it any day over this.

5. marti

marti Registered Member

Mele,

I use email notification on all posts that I make here. That way, I never miss a post. If I don't want to follow a thread anymore, I can easily turn off the email notices.

There may be other thread subscription options that I have never bothered to investigate.

6. LowWaterMark

And just what forum software do you think they would use if they hosted it at their own website? There's every bit a chance they'd use vBulletin there, too. So such a move itself would not necessarily fix all the problems you have with forum software.

Marti's suggestion is the best. Thread subscriptions would notify you by email of replies made to threads you are interested in.

7. marti

marti Registered Member

This comment is off-topic, but having a registered-users only forum locks out those that may want to purchase a particular software item, or are running a trial version.

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you both for your suggestions. I seldom use email these days and I don't want 50 or 60 notices sitting in my email box and almost all of the notices will be outdated as I will have been here several times and read most of the threads before I would see those notices. I have tried that sort of thing in the past and even presently have it for Computer Cops. There I post just in the Proxo forums and they are not at all lively like the NOD32 forum here. Even so, the email notifications have never been of use as I have almost always seen the new post before I ever see the email and it is just one more email to delete.

This might have been useful several years ago before all the email spam and being forced to use plain text only so there is no fun anymore in email. Back then, I kept OE open all the time. So, I would have seen a new email coming in. Now, I open my email at the most once a day unless I know I am getting an email I need such as a reset password, etc. I use Private Messaging instead of email. So do my friends. But here you can't keep enough messages to do that often like I can at dslr where I have thousands of saved Personal Messages.

Some sites, will notify you via Personal Message and that would nice.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well KAV has a closed a forum. I'm trialling KAV currently and I can't get in the forum which is how I think it should be. Symantec requires you to be a registered user to access their on line tech support and some AV vendors have no forum support such as Trend Micro. They have the best support as it is free phone support. Usually if you are trialling a AV you don't get help from the vendor even if their forum is open to anyone. I posted a long bunch of questions and concerns in the unofficial KAV forum and have been totally ignored by the KAV employees that come to that forum. I would have been better off asking at dslr. The users who responded were all fellow dslr folks anyhow. Or, I should have asked here. I just saw several really eye opening threads on KAV here from which I learned a lot.

The idea of having closed tech support is so that it is strictly tech support. Thus the NOD32 forum would not have threads such as "should I purchase NOD32 or KAV", polls, flame threads like the Kobra one, etc. Threads like that don't belong in a tech support forum. 50% or more of the threads in the NOD32 forum don't belong there. They are not strictly requests for tech support. A tech support forum should be the user asks a specific question/asks for help and a technician answers. Other users may or may not be allowed to post to the question/answer. This is far more efficient and mostly does away with flames, OT posts, etc. A companion forum can be established where anyone can post and discuss anything related to the AV and the vendor.

10. marti

marti Registered Member

Mele,

You have valid points in your response. However, I receive better help from my peers, not tech support. By asking a question in a forum that is open to all, I get many inputs, not a "canned response" from tech support.

11. LowWaterMark

Mele,

There's actually a little more to thread subscriptions than just the notification method. When you subscribe to a thread, it will be appear in a list (with other threads you subscribe to, if any) in your User CP. It's almost like a custom or personalized sub-forum index. When you go in there, you'll see each thread in a format similar to how it appears in a sub-forum index, but it/they will be listed for you privately in your control panel.

If you had a dozen threads you were most interested in, you could go right to your "User CP" when you first login and see the collective list of them immediately. No moving from forum to forum, just all listed in a single personalized page.

If you want to subscribe to a thread... when you are reading it, use the option at the bottom (just below the Quick Reply window) called "Subscribe to this Thread". In the subsciption screen that comes up next, choose "No email notification" and hit "Add Subscription". From that point until you unsubscribe, that thread will appear in your subscribed threads listing. (Also, such threads will be marked in the sub-forum index it appears in with a special symbol showing you that you are subscribed. The symbol appears in the same place where the attachment paperclip is usually displayed.)

You should give that a try and see if you find it useful.

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Mele

I wish the NOD forum was read only to non-users for the reasons you mention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.