Date format

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Clive T, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clive T

Clive T Registered Member

Any way to change the displayed date format on messages from the 'American' format? I'm having to do mental gymnastics to convert 4-5-04 to something meaningful!

Clive T

2. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Sorry, but I couldn't help but chuckle. I have to do those mental gymnastics all the time now at my home site as I am American but Justin (dslr owner) is an Aussie. I cannot wrap my mind around the way the date displays there now. So, I know how you feel! Of course, I love the way it dsplays here. Maybe I should spend more time here and you should spend more time at dslreports!:D

Seriously though I don't think it can be adjusted. Sort of odd since we can adjust the the first day of the week in options because that varies around the world. So, if the software writers thought about that ...why wouldn't they think about this date variation?

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, numeric-only date representations will look backwards to one half of the forum users or the other, depending upon whether it is MDY or DMY, so I just changed them to display month as a word, which will require less gymnastics, even though it is still Month DD, YYYY now.

4. Clive T

OK. But where do you change the option?

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

vBulletin doesn't seem to provide a configuration option for each user, only a "board wide" setting. So, I changed it in the board control panel.

6. Clive T

Thanks, LowWaterMark. I didn't see the change staring me in the face!

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

And of course we do have a practical (and probably fairly desirable) option -- simply drop by often enough that when you're catching up on new postings, nearly everything you're looking at is "today", which is fairly universal in meaning (in English, anyway).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.