Data Partition Protection

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by rcurry71, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcurry71

rcurry71 Registered Member

I do not have Returnil installed yet. I currently have a Data partition where I keep all of my documents.

I understand that Returnil protects only the system partition/drive. How often do viruses etc. infect an alternate partition/drive? Will my data partition still be vulnerable? I have never been hit with a virus to do such, but wonder if they can kill/disable the use of other hardware like hard drives etc. Are they vulnerable too? Or do they simply target SYSTEM partition/drives?

THANKS in advance!

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

It happens though this is not something every malicious program will try to do. The key here though is not whether "junk" will be installed within alternate partitions; rather it is about whether that content will be active. This means that even if the malware installs files on an alternate partition that content will be inert as the changes it needs to make to your System Partition are lost at restart.

It depends on the nature of the nasty we are discussing. Some can do as you describe but Returnil is hardened against low level attacks that would overwrite your MBR which is what the malware would need to do to kill/disable your alternate partitions.

HTH
    Mike

3. rcurry71

rcurry71 Registered Member

Thanks!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.