Data from Columbia disk drives survived the shuttle accident (AP)

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Dogbiscuit, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You must be reading my mind.

I spent some hours today downloading YouTube movies on that disaster and read analysis on why the tragedy happened in the first place.

I find it ironic we can safely propel astronauts back in the 1960's 20th Century to the moon but are struggling just to orbit the earth again in the 21st century.

Those superior Expert engineers then are now all mostly asleep in death and with them has been laid to rest our last chance to colonize the moon or even Mars.

In other words, we're now GROUNDED forever never again to rise to such legendary ambitions or even consider expanding man's exploration into space like is been accomplished in the 1960's.

Space Technology is now unfortunately indefinitely limited to simple earth orbiting vehicles.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Ironic is certainly an understatement about the alleged Moon landing mission. In 1969 computer technology was in its infancy, with main frame computers being huge and bulky.

How on Earth (or should I say Moon) did they get a manned ship to escape Earth orbit, land on the Moon, reverse the operation WITHOUT a single mistake, it is really mind boggling to say the least.

As you mentioned in the 21st century we are still orbiting, and struggling with re-entries into the Earth's atmosphere, having the state of the art of compact computer technology available.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Guys the answer to the question you ask is simple. Money. NASA doesn't have the same kind of budget, and without money, no advancement.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yes Pete. That's exactly the reason.

Reminds me of a drag race i once had, hey i made it to the line first so sorry, no second chances, you lost, i won, race is over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.