Data-Backup on big drives does not work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NoPlayBack, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoPlayBack

NoPlayBack Registered Member

TI 10 newest build installed.
    Image of Boot-Disk no problem, works fast, good compression.

But when trying to create data-backup from big data-drives(200GB, appr. 150GB data stored), there are 2 problems:

1. TrueImage freezes
    Sometimes Acronis freezes, looks like everthing is ok, but %-Complete stops counting up, and pressing cancel has no effect at all. Have to kill the application and reboot. On one drive the backup freezes only with choosing maximum compression, normal compression works. On the other drive it never works, regardless which settings i use.

2. Compression too low
    Choosing Normal compression, the 150GB data result in a 148GB file... that is a really poor compression. Appr. 50% data on the harddisk can not be compressed (JPG, MGP, Image-Files), but the other 50% should be able to be compressed, so i would expect an image file of appr. 100GB.

Any idea?

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Due to the nature of your files, I'd guess that the algorithms for MAXIMUM compression are either stuck, or are just taking a very long time.

Use the program GetFileTypeDistribution
    to determine the types of files and the percentage of each type on the partition.

You might have more non-compressable files than you think, and that might cause the maximum compression algorithms to have difficulty.

3. NoPlayBack

You are right, there are more non-compressable files as i thought.
    So the only issue remaining is that TrueImage freezes when backing up, even with normal compression on one harddrive.
    The algorithms are definitly stuck.... when TrueImage freezes, then there is no hd-activity any more, CPU is idle.
    So hopefully i can come around by using "no compression". Will test and post results.

4. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you error checked the drives prior to making the backup? A corrupted file or bad sector could cause the problem. Run CHKDSK /R on the drive when you won't be needing access to it for a while.

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

As I recall, the OP stated that normal compression worked, so there's not a disk drive problem.

Compression algorithms, like sorting algorithms, are very sensitive to data used and the details of the implementation of the algorithm.

For example, see Sorting, and look at the differences amomgst the Quick Sort algorithms. Subtle ddifferences in the implementations can result in large differences in timings, depending on data used.

I expect that there are similar issues with compression.

7. NoPlayBack

Thanks for all the input, this is the result of testing:

CHKDSK / R did not report any error.

Did run Data-Backup on the drive which always got stuck, but this time without compression. This time TrueImage did not freeze. Duration was acceptable.
    So it seems to be the compression-algorithms which did fail.

@CatFan432: Did check that thread.
    There is something i would gain with using TI instead of Synch-Software or copy with explorer: With doing Diff-Backups i also get all versions of files.
    If i would write a text-document, would change it every day, and would make diff-backups each night, then i could restore any version with using TI. Also deleted files would be catched by that method.
    With using Sync-Software or just copy, i would always overwrite the one backup-file with the newest version, and older versions would be lost.

8. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Depends on the sync program. I'm using ViceVersa Pro, and it has options to "Archive" changed files, rather than overwrite or delete them. Within the archive function there are a number of further options.

Just a thought - CatFan

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello NoPlayBack,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that if you back up the whole contents of the drive, you could as well create an image instead of data backup. You can always restore separate files from the image if needed (or mount/explore it to view contents and copy to physical drives).

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drives in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Please also try using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media to create the same data backup and see if it succeedes.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. NoPlayBack

@CatFan432:
    Thanks, didn't know that.

@Support:
    The driver you are proposing is newer than the one in your last build, so i will try it.
    Images do not work, did try that already. Shows same behaviour.
    Will do the tests, but since backup with compression is really slow, that will need some days to get data. Will provide as soon as available.
    Thanks for support.

11. NoPlayBack

As requested:

Newest drivers first seemed to help, was able to run one complete backup. Trying that a second time then did fail again.
    Then did exchange dll to get log-files.

Steps to do backup:
    - Started TI
    - Backup
    - Continue
    - selected data, then continue
    - selected Drive G:, continue
    - removed tick from "don'T backup .bak, .tmp... wanted to backup everything.
    - selected I:\Acronis\MeinBackup.tib
    - new complete archive
    - standard options
    - no comments
    started backup. Got indication that it will 4 hours.

When Backup freezes, no harddrive activities, no CPU-Usage any more, i then grabbed 2 (!) log-files.
    Then i hit cancel, to stop TI... i confirmed the message "really want to cancel", and then nothing happens. The Cancel-Button is grayed and inactive. Have to close all windows and shutdown windows. Doing that i get 2 messages about 2 programs still running, first is "TrueImageNotify" and second is "TrueImageServic".
    Also created report as requested.
    Once machine did reboot, one of the log-files were updated. So i copied that and placed it also into the request for your attention.
    Did start to try backup with booting from Rescue-Cd created out of the newest build... but when i did see indication it may take 7 hours, i stopped it.

Did recognize that TI displays file-names which are currently saved. TI always freezes on AVI-files. Not always the same... sometimes after 1 hour, sometimes after 3 hours while saving complete different directory.... but when froozen it always displays that it is working on an AVI-file.

Hope informations send to you via request for tech support help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.