Data Backup Hangs TI11

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Wizit, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WineGuy

WineGuy Registered Member

Marat,

OK. The zip'd file is almost 40MB. So, the only way to send it is through sending another Acronis Technical Support Request which references this forum thread and the earlier Acronis Report Number (#1611492).

I look forward to a response and resolution soon. I really want to be able to begin to regularly back-up my system.

WineGuy

2. WineGuy

OK, I have now tried over a dozen times... The Technical Support submission browser app says that it will allow attacments of 40MB. My attachment is 37MB, and on every occasion, the Acronis server times out and drops the connection before all data can be successfully transmitted. How am I to get this log file to you ? ? ?

WineGuy

3. WineGuy

Marat,

I can tell you (after studying the Process Monitor log), that things appear to be progressing well, and then not too long before cessation of the program, there is suddenly nothing but repeated instances of pairs of:

3882549 1:00:06.2231503 PM TrueImageMonitor.exe 3648 Thread Create SUCCESS Thread ID: 5572
    3882557 1:00:06.2238443 PM TrueImageMonitor.exe 3648 Thread Exit SUCCESS User Time: 0.0000000, Kernel Time: 0.0000000
    (where the Thread ID changes with each instance)

and interspersed every couple hundred entries is:
    4011201 1:00:20.3198909 PM TrueImageHomeService.exe 5836 WriteFile G:\Acronis BackUp Location 2\2008_08_15_11_13_38_123F1.TIB SUCCESS Offset: 108,686,999,552, Length: 4,194,304, I/O Flags: Non-cached, Priority: Normal

These entries make up over 75% of the log, and seem to lead up to the failue.

WineGuy

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  4. Wizit

Wizit Registered Member

Marat

Thanks for the tip to turn off compression for the data backup. It worked a number of times perfectly.

While my immediate problem is "fixed", I wonder why this error has suddenly appeared? I have been using TI11 for a number of months wihtout a problem and suddenly this error appears. I also installed TI11 on my 2nd PC to see if the same error would appear but for the past couple of weeks, it has worked perfectly in every backup routine I have run - both "computer" and "data".

When the problem is fixed in a future release, will we automatically receive a free upgrade?

Strange...

Thanks again.
    Wizit

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Acronis in the past hs only given new builds within a version for free; new versions not.

6. WineGuy

Wizit,

Happy to hear that turning off 'data compression' helped you with your problem (though you're right, a backup facility without it is not much different that a good 'copy' facility). However, as I noted earlier in this thread, I tried that tact and it did not help with my problem...

WineGuy

7. fredra

fredra Registered Member

WOW!!!
    I didn't realize that this problem has been KNOWN to ACRONIS and they keep bringing out new versions and not fixing such a important issue.
    What is the point of turning off compression?....jeez ... gmab :mad:
    I tried doing a "Data" backup with no compression, and it does not work for me, it still stops, after 2 hrs, with 0%. That suggested workaround is NOT effective for everyone.
    That is it for me ... somebody else can try to figure it out, I can't put any more time into something that does not work. Simply put, it does not work on Vista to backup files on the boot partition.
    I hope they fix it in their NEW 2009 version, but I will not hold my breath.
    I will use it to do "image" backup of my Vista PC, and use another application to do the file backup.
    Thanks for all the help... I am outta here.
    Cheers :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  8. Alan_Clark

Alan_Clark Registered Member

Hi Marat

I was getting the same hang problem, even with compression set to "none". I have just updated to version 8101 and as I write this the backup is proceeding without hanging, it as never got nearly this far before.

However, it is still ignoring my selected folders and seems to be backing up everything, even my temporary internet files and recycle bin. This seems to be a separate problem from the hanging, is there another thread on this? I have tried a search but it is difficult to phrase a search argument for this behavior. OS is Windows Vista Home Premium 32.

Thanks in advance
    Alan Clark

9. barbershop john

barbershop john Registered Member

Hi, I'm a trial user of TI11 and have a Vista 64 bit pc. Reading these emails I can't think of one reason why I should purchase TI. I have tried the software and have many video files to backup and like everyone else the system has been hit and miss. Sometimes ok and many time it has frozen. How can I believe that it will be fixed in a future version? My need is here and now. So again what's the point in purchasing TI11, when I don't know if I'm going to be asked to fork out again for another version that might fix the problem. Very disappointed as I was given so many good vibs on radio and everywhere else!. barbershop john.

10. PortVista

PortVista Registered Member

Is there a resolution to this? Same problem here. I noticed Acronis responded, but provided no fix?

11. WineGuy

PortVista,

I've been engaged with Acronis for two months now; recreating the problem (easy to do, since it happens every time), sending in data, and waiting for them to ask for more. It's now been two weeks since I last sent data/info to tech support, and have had no response at all. It's all very frustrating.

So, no, there is no resolution.

WineGuy

12. frustratedWithATI

frustratedWithATI Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I've run into the same problem WineGuy and it seems many others have, for at least the last 10 months (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=193687&page=5). I have a brand new (<1 week old) quad-core win xp professional sp3, 4gb ram, external 400gb usb2 hd, and wanted to buy backup software, so bought ATI 11, build 8101 and have all the updated drivers, etc. installed. It worked for 3 days, then received 2 errors everytime I did a backup of any sort (scheduled vs one-time only; full, incremental, or differential):

1. Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 run-time error: This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

2. Error E000807D4: Connection to service refused. The operation was terminated unexpectedly.

I have started a conversation with Acronis support, but based on reading these forums, I don't expect too much from them. After readings way too many forum posts, it looks like perhaps the reason for this happening, as described by another user (Haeckli), has to do with multi-core systems. While this may not be 100% true (ie single core users having the same problem?), it's at least a start, and more than Acronis has ever mentioned. From what I've read, there are two work arounds that seem to work for many, but not all, users. The first is to turn off compression completely, the second is described in that same thread I linked above, and basically makes Acronis TI (and only Acronis TI) run on one core.

While these 2 ways of going about the problem won't work for everyone, they are at least something to try before driving yourself crazy like I've done. I went with the turning off compression method, and it's been working so far...Hope this helps.

13. PortVista

PortVista Registered Member

HAHA! I got you beat!

I first posted about this issue on Dec 3rd, 2006. Maybe there are a number of causes, but the result is folders cannot reliably be backed up using TrueImage. TI has has apparently never worked properly. Most people use TI for the full image back-up, so I guess no one cares anyway.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=156623

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.