Data Backup And Audit

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Andy_GB, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Andy_GB

Andy_GB Registered Member

Several years ago I couldn't care less about backups, if my hard drive went bang I would simply buy a new one and move on with life. However times have changed and I now store a considerable number of family photos and videos which I value. I currently keep two copies of my data locally, plus I use two separate online backup service. In terms of backup I am happy this is more than sufficient for my data to be safe.

However I was wondering, what happens if a file, or series of files, get corrupt without my knowing. If I didn't spot this within 30 days, ultimately I would end up with 4 copies of corrupt data. Is there any software which monitors my data to check for changes (intentional, corruption, or even malware)?

2. V3nuo

V3nuo Registered Member

If the wrong information is written to a file, or the right information is written in the wrong place, the data can become garbled and scrambled, leaving you with a corrupted file. Damage to the storage medium can also render parts of a file physically unreadable, creating the same result. A corrupted file may not open at all, or may show an error if it does. These damaged files are self-contained, meaning they don't indicate a problem with the original program. If a Word document is corrupted and refuses to open, other Word documents and Word itself may open without issue. Programs and your operating system can also develop corrupted files, which may prevent proper use of any files that rely on these core programs.

A file typically becomes corrupted when a problem occurs during saving. If your computer loses power or crashes as you save a file, there's a good possibility that the file will become corrupted. Bad sectors on your hard drive or other storage media can also cause file corruption, even if the saving process finishes properly. Viruses and other malware can also cause file corruption.

That should make you a little nervous and perhaps motivate you to invest in that backup strategy you’ve been putting off. That way, automatic file backup is helpful for all of us.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.