DARPA wants to connect human brains and machines

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Minimalist, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

https://www.fifthdomain.com/it-networks/2018/03/19/darpa-wants-to-connect-human-brains-and-machines/

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Very cool. I want some of that.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Conjures up that March 8, 1968 Season 2 Episode 24 (The Ultimate Computer).

4. Reality

Reality Registered Member

reminds me of "useless eaters"

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

We all knew this was coming, right?

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yep, and many of us should thank our lucky stars that we were SOCIAL (Win 95/98/XP) before there was a social (Yahoo Messenger) since it's as natural as getting dressed in the morning that peeps tote around pocket PC's everywhere we look.

At least we seen this possibility on the horizon-distant future way before it actually took on the reality that is now. Not that it makes it any better to swallow with such impressive displays of mastery with battlefield machinery run by today's computer engineerings.

7. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

There are always going to be those evil people who will take technological advancements and find ways to weaponize them.

8. 142395

142395 Guest

How many ppl understand what a hard thing they're trying to do? Even with invasive device or a non-invasive but large device which requires special facility and in which subject can't move freely, we can only roughly "read" neural signals and when it comes to "write", even more roughly (and they're after enough training as each one's brain differ). But the biggest problem is, as the article told, there're not many ways to interact with brain in non-invasive way, namely, magnetic field, EMW including IR, or current. Magnetic field will be excluded for various reason. But what can be done, really, by only EMW and current? While relatively quite targeted stimulation is already achieved, they're still too limited, especially if you want to stimulate deeper cortex. Decoding is also trouble, as we can only observe aggregated signals when invasive method is not usable. Not to mention many EMW fly in the battlefield which will cause even more noises. Another problem not mentioned is soldier move violently. Yup, it's obvious, but is huge trouble when it comes to BMI. This is why fNIRS is favored in some purposes as it allows subject to move, but even they don't move like soldier in battlefield.

9. RockLobster

@142395 One of my family members and I could send the images from ESP test cards to each other and see it correctly every single time. Not just the shape, but the color of it too.
    The cards were a freebie that came with a magazine about weird stuff like ESP.
    The first time we did it, I was amazed, there was no guesswork involved, I could clearly see the shape that was being sent to me, mentally, every time.
    That was many years ago, I have wondered if we could still do it or not. We never took it any further than that but I'm sure it is like anything else, with practice..

10. 142395

142395 Guest

I have no idea, it might be some psychological trick, or other...??

11. RockLobster

No it's not a trick, telepathy is real, when you sit with your back to the one sending... Each card had 1 of 4 simple large shapes on them, a square, a circle, a triangle or a star. My sister had the cards she concentrates on the image and tried to send it to me mentally. I could literally see it with my eyes closed. We did it 20 times, there was 20 cards. The only ones that were not totally clear were the star ones, probably because a more complicated shape, but I knew it was the star because it was irregular.
    Then we switched and my sister got them all correct too.
    We actually did take it further than that, I had forgotten, it was so long ago, we were teenagers at the time. So anyway a few days after the cards thing we were watching tv I wanted some coffee but didn't want to leave the room to go make it so tried concentrate on making my sister think about coffee. A few seconds later she gets up and says I'm making coffee you want some? I told her about that afterwards and for a while it became a game we used to play, like I would suddenly start thinking about ice cream for no reason, and I'd look at her and say ice cream she would start laughing. I remember a few different things like one time I made her think about pineapple she said I wish we had pineapple, then I'd be laughing and she said stop doing that, I really want pineapple now lol.

12. 142395

142395 Guest

Well, there're too many phenomena which are not yet scientifically elucidated and that is among them. One common misunderstanding is scientists deny the existence of such a wondering phenomena. Some do, but other modest scientists don't as they know that they know too little about the world.

More common misunderstanding is that as we now have such an advanced science & technology, most things except very cutting-edge topic such as the origin of universe are already elucidated. The fact is quite opposite. A physicist is studying friction as we still don't know how exactly the friction occur. Another physicist study how exactly airplane can fly. If you have heard an explanation by Bernoulli's principle, a bad news is that is lie. There're many such lies around the world. But the lie is needed to convince common ppl.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.