DARPA is developing a tool to detect Android Malware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Minimalist, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

and people say Android malware isn't an issue?

I saw a chart somewhere, that showed the growth of android malware is something like 900% a year.. I will find the chart.

3. lordraiden

lordraiden Registered Member

With % it all depends from where you come from.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, most of the malware comes from installing malicious apps. There are not much exploits or malware using Android vulnerabilities floating around, though.

5. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I agree that Android malware growth is indeed a worrying trend and concern. However, I don't share the same sentiment that a real-time AV is necessary provided certain precautions are taken.

If we look at the malware distribution channel, we can see a pattern where the majority of the malicious apps come from unknown sources (such as dubious 3rd-party stores) and malware that infects Android devices via USB connection. By leaving the built-in security settings at default and not installing apps from these unknown sources, the exposure to such malicious apps reduces by a huge margin.

I am not denying that there are malicious apps on Google Play Store but Google is taking steps to reduce the odds of encountering one. Furthermore, it's not difficult to create a wall for oneself by sticking to known trustworthy reputable apps.