Damaged partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Azdon, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

Acronis,
    Why, after doing a full disk image backup from rescue boot CD, and successfully verifying the archive, would the mounting screen show one partition of the disk image to have a red circle with white cross in the top left? User Manual notes it may be a damaged partition, but why did TI verify the archive then? Is there a way to repair the image? This relates to my previous pretty long thread "interesting image size"
    Don
    TI 9.0 (3633)

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You might of thought an error window would have popped up when you made the image.

However, if TI was able to read the partition to its satisfaction then it created an archive. The Verify or Validate of an archive is NOT a comparison with the original data or anything else, when the image is created TI calculates a checksum or checksums of the data (I don't know if it is one checksum or more) and the Validate function recalculates this checksum for the image file and compares it with the stored checksum in the archive. If they match the archive is deemed good.

Note that if TI is happily reading bad information from the disk it will still compute its checksum and a subsequent validate performed on the archive will show it as OK. For this reason I think it is a good idea to run chkdsk X: /r every now and then before a backup to ensure the disk structure being backed up is still good as far as XP goes. Substitute X for the drive letter of the partition being tested. C requires reboot.

This may tie in to your big size archive since if TI can't make sense of the partition format it will then back it all up instead of just the in-use sectors since it has no way of determing what they are. The numbers you got don't agree but who knows what it thought was on the disk if the structure is damaged.

Suggest you run chkdsk as described above on the whole disk (all partitions) if you haven't done so just to see what it says.

3. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

Thanks seekforever. I'll do that (chkdsk), but I think the 'damage' is on the partition image and not the actual partition since re-doing it turned out the right size and no damage indicators. Thanks too on what 'verify' does and doesn't do.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Azdon,

Please find my answer in this thread you have started.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.