Daily Backup - Unique Name

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BarbieGirl, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarbieGirl

BarbieGirl Registered Member

I was wondering if there is a way to make the system create a unique name daily on its own without me having to change it every day.

I create a full backup every day and if I don't go in and edit the task and give it a new name it just overwrites the preceding day.

Can the system generate it's own unique daily name and if so how do you program it to do so?

Thanks

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I would just set up 7 tasks, one scheduled for each day and each with its own unique name.

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

What TI are you using?

If it is a version that allows a backup place, then making a task(s) that uses this will automatically create TI file names, plus you can put a policy in place which will allow 7 backups and then overwrite these on the 8th.

Colin

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If your using ATI 10 Home or 11 Home, then you can create a Backup Location and set limits (file number, size, age) when you do. Then create a task to save to that location. ATI will automatically uniquely name files and delete the oldest when the limits are reached.

If you have an older version then you can create a task and set it to run a post command that calls a batch file.

Here's an example of a post command that calls a relatively simple batch file that uniquely renames files after they are created, using part of the date (using 2 characters starting at the 7th character of the date string, which is the day's date--so you rotate through 28, 30 or 31 backups depending on the month) and when the day-date gets back around to the same numbers, the batch file deletes the old file before renaming the new backup. If you change the first line in the batch file to set Day=%Date:~8,1% then only the last digit of the day's date will be used, giving you rotation of 7 backups.

The backup is made to E:\mybackup.tib and the system drive is C:

The post-command sets the working directory to E:\ and calls a batch file with this command:

C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c rename-file.bat

the batch file contains these lines and roatates 28, 30 or 31 backups:

set Day=%Date:~7,2%
    if not exist mybackup.tib goto notthere
    :delfile
    if exist mybackup_%Day%.tib del mybackup_%Day%.tib
    ren mybackup.tib mybackup_%Day%.tib
    :notthere
    exit

An alternative is this which rotates through 7 backups:

set Day=%Date:~8,1%
    if not exist mybackup.tib goto notthere
    :delfile
    if exist mybackup_%Day%.tib del mybackup_%Day%.tib
    ren mybackup.tib mybackup_%Day%.tib
    :notthere
    exit

5. BarbieGirl

BarbieGirl Registered Member

Thank you Sheiber that was such a complete reply and I am going to implement it today!! Thanks again

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Note that there are other ways to accomplish somewhat the same goals. You can search "popov batch" to find at least one more, rather more complicated batch file, and there are others.

I like the one I showed because it's relatively simple and easier to figure out when you come back and look at it, say, 6 months, later.

Note that if you want ot play around with the variable parameters in the first line of th batch I showed, you can do this in a DOS window (Start, Run, CMD) using the SET command to create the variable and to show how the Day variable took the parameters..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.