D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Avogadro, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avogadro

Avogadro Registered Member

Can anyone help with this problem?

I want to back up my personal information on to a CD or DVD. After I had inserted a blank CD and clicked on the D drive after opening up My Computer, I got the message: D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function.

When I put a DVD into the computer and again attempted to open the D drive, the hour glass symbol froze. Task Manager said that My Computer was not responding.

Obviously there is something wrong. A Google search of forums discussing the problem seems to indicate that the problem has something to do with the drivers. Someone else I know said the problem is something to do with the hard drive and not the drivers.

I have Windows XP Home Edition on my computer. Also, Nero Express and Record Now! Deluxe.

Can you please explain what has gone wrong and offer some advice to enable me to solve the problem?

Avogadro

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi, and welcome to the forum Avogadro!

In my puter try, rt clking the drive - prop's - recording tab - select "enable recording on this drive" - clk OK - then retry.

GF

3. Avogadro

Avogadro Registered Member

Thanks, Global Force, your advice worked for blank CDs, and I am now able to read old data CDs.

However, I still get the same problem when I insert a blank DVD. My Computer freezes and, when I end the task using Task Manager, the desktop icons disappear for a few minutes. I mention this latter fact because it might give you a clue about the cause of the problem.
    I would appreciate your further advice.

Avogadro

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Avogadro,

I'm on the wrong box atm (other has Nero, will provide more detail's tommorrow). If you could open the Nero info tool and post result's about your drive it would be most helpful. Tell me, did you go with a full install of the program (meaning InCD was also included)? If this is the case I'll mention InCD has had compatibility issue's with some drive's and that by uninstalling, re-installing, choosing custom install without InCD may sort you out. If you attempt this I suggest rebooting after the initial uninstall, running the "clean" tool for your version - http://www.nero.com/ - under "tool's and utilities" section, then rebooting again before entering custom install.

In the event reinstalling doesn't solve the problem, there are other avenue's .... one step at a time.

Edit: Perhap's you can also answer if your xp install was an upgrade from win98? Error's referring to a particular driver in event viewer?
    Has there ever been any other burning soft installed?

GF

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.