Cyberhawk vs System Safety Monitor Free Editon?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

What do you think about one versus the other? Specifically throw this into your post if you know Cyberhawk vs SSM has More Protection, Same protection, Less protection, Quieter, or Less Compatible with other software, etc.

dja2k

2. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

currently using SSM.
    will there be any conflict if i install cyberhawk together with SSM

cos i wanna compare both at the same time

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well I have them both installed, haven't ran them both at the same time and don't know if it is a good idea though, maybe someone else can put some light into this subject. I would want to run both if I can as well.

dja2k

4. muf

muf Registered Member

You should be able to run them both together. CH is mainly behaviour analysis and SSM is application control. IMO they are different in how they work and protect. I used CH with Prevx1 and had no problems or conflicts.

muf

5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well without SSM running along side CH, I had slowdowns and the damn icon for CH didn't work, it was frozen and randomly happened. I have prevx1 as well. Might not be prevx1 doing this though, might be the behavioral analysis stuff of Comodo Firewall, but not sure yet.

dja2k

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  6. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

"Cyberhawk vs System Safety Monitor "

They are totally different programs, SSM is a HIPS solution, and Cyberhawk is more of a behavior analysis and blocking program if i remember correctly

7. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Okay I understand now. Maybe that is why Comodo and Cyberhawk conflict because both have that behavior analysis stuff. Have to figure out if I should turn all of those options in Comodo or only certain ones. :D

Updated:
    Well think turning off Comodo Behavioral Analysis fixed the slowdown and freezing so far, not sure yet, but I did get more dialogs now from Cyberhawk and warning about data injection from the likes of OA AV+ (KAV Engine).

dja2k

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U can,t compare the two in my opinion. They are totally different. Both are nice. U can combine both if no conflicts etc or choose one according to ur choice.
    SSM is without any glamour! Simple, dry pop ups on all events.
    CH is dramatic, giving u thrill with red and yellow pop ups, I like that but still prefer fine control of SSM.
    BTW in my opinion CH still needs work. Most imp it stops system restore access that is unacceptable.

9. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks Aigle for the further information about this two apps. I have the running together now and I will see how it goes before I eliminate anything else.

dja2k

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U are welcome.
    I have reported the matter od system restore on their site and I know they are already aware of it from the posts here. I am waiting when they will fix it and I then I will give it another try.
    Are u using everthing at a time mentioned in ur signature?

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

They are not comparable.

You have to decide if you prefer a Behavior Blocker (CH) or a Host Instrusion Prevention System (SSM).

12. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

me personally . . i am all about HIPS like Prosecurity, System Safety monitor, Processguard etc etc

13. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

I would think behavior blockers also count as a HIPS.....

14. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

not really . . there is some slight comparison, but a Behavior analysis is definatly NOT anything near to as protective as HIPS in general. Behavor blocking/analysis is good for people who screwed up with HIPS and allowed something nasty to run and its like having a frail net to fall on that may snap or not you have no idea. Cyber i would say is a last resort for accidental laps of judgement

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Correct, but BB are more inteligent because you will receive an alert if a program made some suspisious behavior, instead of the HIPS that alert you for every listen action...

16. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

I would think behavior blockers also count as a HIPS.....

17. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Devil you already typed that ? why dupe a post ?

Maybe but HIPS is more secure. as i said HIPS is for professional protection. BB is for people not so computer savvy that might accidentally run a virus and they want to feel like they have a security net to fall back on. thing is its like antivirus, you gotto acomodate for every type of computer access . . Oh a copy here . . oh a write there . . Oh a registry change BEEEEPP i dont like that. I like the simple things that secure the most.

18. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

The problematic issue here is that the technology has not really progressed to the point where suspicious is always readily differentiated from potentially dangerous.

Blue

19. Arup

Arup Guest

Think of it as this way, BB is like a prison where constant vigil has to be kept on the inmates, HIPS is like a fort with a long range radar to keep out the baddies before they are inside.

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I completly agree with you.

That is why I'm saying that the BB or HIPS needs a lot of work to became really useful...

I personally don't like current HIPS because of the annoying alerts, so in the future, maybe the BB could a be a good solution, or not...

21. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Arup . . i could not put it better my self. Awesome description

22. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

HIPS is mature . . always growing, but mature. if you let something bad "in" your pc you have to be such a programmer to protect the pc. You basically should be testing EVERYTHING in a virtual environment such as Vmware or Virtual PC. i do not trust Behavior blocking however i completely trust HIPS if the user knows how it works and dont expect its like an antivirus that they click what ever and they dont get infected. Hips is for peopl who really want protection. i dont know about you but i would rather keep bad OUT than let it in and try to find it. I never liked hide and seek . . . . . . . . .

23. Arup

Arup Guest

Point is with HIPS, the person operating the radar has to be smart enough to discern real threat otherwise friendly fire takes out your own.

24. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

yup. thing is people want to b secure, yet they either dont know anything about security or windows or they dont want to. Most average users seem to want a magic bullet, but this does not exist. You have to as arup said be able to tell friend from foe. If your writing the new best seller on your word processor and you get an unexpected exe running and you dont know the location its running from then you know DENY it . . Nothing worse than relyingon BB . . Ok so we know if a file deleted multipul files or copies loads of files or tries to modify loads of files to flag it ? well what about a trojan or a Zombie bot ? HIPS is the only way to be. BB is a nice backup for when you screw up and maybe your losses wont be total and absolute, but dont ever EVER rely on bb

Technology is no antidote to accidental stupidity

My opinion

25. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Not only smart, but should also have a lot of patience for all the alerts...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.