Cyberhawk free

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Drew99GT, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Can Cyberhawk free protect against rootkits? I see the paid version has a rootkit scanner; is that just an on demand scanner separate from the realtime protection offered in both versions?

What do you guys think of Cyberhawk compared to Prevx1?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Cyberhawk's behavior blocking produces a bit more pop-ups than Prevx1 (ABC mode) but both are quiet products.

Also Cyberhawk uses much less memory.

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Currently trying Cyberhawk on my resource deprived :oops: lap top. (replaced Prevx1) Not only is it supposed to detect rootkits, it also offers 2 scan options, quick and full to detect them. Memory\CPU usage is pretty lite. IMO. CHTray.exe= 5676K and CHService= 13212K. CPU usage 0 to 3%. Well less then half the memory usage I was experiencing with Prevx1. Do not remember the CPU usage I experienced with Prevx1. I had a slight but noticeable gain in performance. ie, boot time and app. launch time. Am thinking about replacing Prevx1 on the Wifes` PC with it when I have the time to train it properly.

4. Drew99GT

Now that is even with the free version? On Cyberkawk's website, it shows the ubiquitous chart detailing the differences between the free and paid versions; on of the differences is a rootkit scanner for the paid version.

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

On my main tower right now, not the lap top. However if I remember correctly the scanner is available as are all options of the full vers. for the first 15 days after install.

6. Drew99GT

I realize that, but will the basic free Cyberhawk (after the 15 day trial) protect and detect rootkits? I don't know how else to word the question to get a yes or no answer!!!

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes and no. It will still detect rootkits on execution, but you won't be able to detect those that have already hidden themself (opposed to Pro version where you get on-demand anti-rootkit scanner). So detection is limited, but it may still detect them...

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: If the on demand antirootkit scanner to detect existing rootkit is your major concern, don't worry, be happy, because there is plenty of free antirootkit scanners available now from various AV vendors, and very likely to stay free for a forseeable future. :)

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have both FS Blacklight, and Bit Defender Rootkit Uncover for on demand scanning. Along with KAV 6, and sometimes F-Secure AV, I don't feel the need for another such application. I think that some others, see my signature, might also prevent rootkits from installing.

Jerry

10. Cyberhawk Support

Cyberhawk Support Registered Member

Just to clarify and make sure Drew99GT gets a straight answer :) , yes, Cyberhawk free will protect you from rootkits. If CH Basic (the free version) detects a hidden process of a rootkit attempting to run, it will alert you to that fact. Where CH Pro goes beyond this, is that it will seek out and notify you of any other hidden objects such as files, registry keys, etc. that are attempting to hide on your system.

But again, if any hidden process attempts to run on your system, CH Basic or Pro will alert you.

Hope this helps.

Becky Dubrow

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Becky, thanks for the clarification. So now we know that CH can detect rootkit and notify users re its existence, and other related whereabouts. But you did not mention the stop order(to stop rootkit from running) and deletion(to remove rootkit from system). Are these two functions still on drawing board? or I have missed a good reading somewhere? I'll appreciate your feedback. Have a nice one. :)

12. Cyberhawk Support

Cyberhawk Support Registered Member

We do currently also stop them from running, of course--sorry I didn't make that clear earlier. And in our Pro version if we detect any known rootkits they are automatically quarantined and can be permanently removed. In the scan, any objects found can likewise be quarantined and permanently removed. If it's the case of an unknown or new rootkit, then CH will alert you and stop the process, and you can set it to always block it. We are definitely planning on adding on additional cleanup and removal features into upcoming versions to further expand on what we offer now.

Becky

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Becky, thanks for light-speed response. Now I am totally convinced that the added benefit of pro version is so much advanced than free one. I think I will skip a goument T-bone steak dinner and fork that $$ to purchase your Pro copy. $ 19.95/yr, did you say? An excellent deal indeed. Have a nice one. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.