cyberhawk flagged one of my programs, how can i check it's clean?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by iceni60, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

cyberhawk flagged my IRC program, it said it was keylogging and trying to connect out somewhere in a malware-like way. i suppose an IRC program does that though, so how can i check the program is safe to use? i tried another IRC client, but i don't like it :mad:

this is the program - http://www.silverex.org/news/
    i think it's a Free program, so it's unlikely to be bad.

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Most likely a FP.

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi

Upload it to virus total dot com

regards K

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Who knows is unfortunatly the answer. It doesn't provide much info.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

ok thanks.

i don't see the point of running windows security programs because whenever something is flagged you have to guess if it's malware or not because no information is given. antivir flagged something too, but didn't say where the file was so i had no idea what to do lol

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You and me both. Others have tested it, and it seems to detect real malware, but once i see it working, and flashing those FP's, i think to myself how can i decide on anything it prompts. It has a long way ahead in development imo.

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello. :)

IRCs and IMs often have a 'feature' to log transfered chat in a file. So keylogger it is (the behavior is the same as nasties), but unlikely malicious.

Well, the first time you guess, then you go about asking questions and thus find out something about it (keylogger in this case). And the next time you know better. ;) I would report that FP to Cyberhawk, so it can be fixed.

Cheers.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

that's not what i meant - if the program doesn't tell you what behaviour is being flagged you'll never know what's clean and what's malware.

if a program is malware and cyberhawk was the only program to flag it you'd never know one way or the other. but, if cyberhawk told you exactly what it was flagging you could test it for yourself and make up your own mind.

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

That's the one quirk i discovered when running SSM & CyberHawk together, sometimes CH would alert to something but the prompt field was blank :blink: , nevertheless SSM would make a positive identification in print so the user wouldn't be mystified.

BTW, how is the PC Tools Cyberhawk Program fairing for you? For the time being i've settled back with only SSM & EQSecure HIPS.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Some good programs, exhibit the same behavior as dirty ones. All they can do is flag the behavior, and then you have determine yourself what is good or bad. Kaspersky AV always flags MIRC as a questionable program because of its behavior. You have to know where you got it and that it's actually the program you think it is, and then put it in the trusted zone.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.