Cyberhawk and Firefox?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I keep going back and forth about needing or not needing the Antispyware Component in my AVG Internet Security Suite if I'm using Firefox and Noscript. So I was now wondering if just using the AV and Firewall with Cyberhawk wouldn't be better protection. Of course keeping the AS component and also using Ch makes sense, but I only want to have one or the other. I have read that AVG AS uses Heuristics in RealTime to catch new and unknown Malware so would that be adequate in protecting anything that could come through FF?

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Lol, i see you undecided. The way i see it, is when you download stuff, how will you flag it malware? AS- signatures, CH - behavior.
    I'm assuming nothing gets by FW+FFw/noscript. For the sake of discussion.

3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

The way i see it, your just like myself, have decided to rid the overkill security programs and use a lean, minimal setup. Now the only decisions left is what to use. I have chosen to accomplish this with a Firewall, resident AV and one other program which could be Antispyware, HIPS or Sandbox. Since i don't get spyware anymore, that's off the list. Tried HIPS, couldn't be bothered. So my choice was obvious, 'Sandbox = Bufferzone'. I have 2 remaining on-demand spyware scanners which i will narrow down soon to 1. Run them once per month and they never find anything. I'm also trialing Prevx 1 and like it very much and am seriously considering dispatching my resident AV to on-demand status or possibly, complete removal.
    So decide what run's well on your system and stick with it. I for one don't like the resources that the AVG Antispyware Guard uses on my machine. If you don't notice it, great. If you do, then drop it and look at Sandbox/Virtualization. Let your computer tell you what's best!:thumb:

4. duke1959

Sounds like good advice tobacco. Is Bufferzone stable and safe to use, and do you think it is definietly a better alternative than a Behavior Based program like Cyberhawk? I like CH as it is very unobtrusive and doesn't slow down my PC. The AVG AS Component however, makes the Suite run as high as 30 to 35 MB in Task Manager, and it slows complete boot time by not loading icon nearly as quickly as when it isn't installed. That, and the fact it most likely isn't even needed with FF has me trying to find a replacement. I'll keep AVG AV and Firewall as it runs light and meets my needs. I just want one extra program for protection using FF if needed. Bufferzone sounds good, and I may try it after I hear back from you and others, or go back to CH and be done with it. I have ruled out using SSM Free or ProSecurity as HIPS, and was even thinking of using Spyware Terminator with it's IDS and HIPS, but I would rather use a set and forget program like CH at this time, or Bufferzone. This just leaves my on demand programs, and that would be SuperAntiSpyware which is on board already, and maybe using the free version of AVG AS, If both are even needed.

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hello duke1959

All i'm trying to say is if you like having AVG antispyware running in real time and it's added resources aren't affecting your decision to keep it there, then do keep it and be happy with your setup. But if you feel a drag from it on your system, and want something lighter, then move it to on-demand. CH is a good choice or some sandbox such as Sandboxie, GesWall, Bufferzone or DefenseWall.

6. duke1959

It does run high in memory and when I use Media Player and Word Perfect at the same time for a few hours my PC slows down. Not a big deal, but if it isn't needed for RealTime with Firefox then I see no point in keeping it in RealTime. I checked on Geswall Free version and it seemed safe and easy to use, but why do you like Bufferzone? I know it can be used with Firefox, but I'm not sure if Cyberhawk's Behavior Blocking wouldn't be a better choice in case something new or unknown should someday be able to affect FF, than a Sandbox like BZ.

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Well, we all know that no program guarantees 100% protection, but i really liked the idea of 'Sandbox/Virtualization'. That is, to Buffer your computer from your Browsers, IM's, etc. while still allowing them to function properly. Being able to run anything i download in Bufferzone first and clear it with one click was another plus. No uninstall, no registry cleaners. I've tried Sandboxie and GesWall before Bufferzone and have nothing negative to say about them They're both fine products but when it came to decision time, i just liked Bufferzone the best, it has a nice GUI and felt it offered me the most.
    I'm using the latest Home version now and Bufferzone would be the last program i'd get rid of. My advice would be to try each for a fews days and then decide. Start with Sandboxie first, then GesWall and finally Bufferzone. Don't forget about 'DefenseWall'. Another great product though they only offer a free trial.

8. duke1959

Thanks tobacco much appreciated.

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Just to illustrate: how personal preferences illustrate chooice

Son uses Antivir free + CyberHawk free + GeSWall paid + surfs with firefox
    Because of trying out software sometimes he preferred CberHawk over SSM freee. Because he is a fanatic gamer performance is an issue and he wants a seamless integration: for performance reasons BufferZone lost, for having two deal with two zones Sandboxie lost. Chooice was GeSWall and DefenseWall. He liked to control the program, that is why he choose GeSWall over Defense Wall

Wife has Antivir + SSm free + DefenseWall + surfs with IE (her favourite music download site requires IE to pay for music). Hates pop-ups, thats is why she runs SSM-free with disconnected interface (asked me to train SSM) and DefenseWall, because DW is silent and usable out of the box. Also the good marks DW got in tests made her prefer DefenseWall

So it is pretty much personal perception

10. duke1959

Do you think Geswall Free would be ok with Cyberhawk? Right now I am running Windows XP Firewall behind wireless router firewall and AVG 7.5 Pro Antivirus. I'm a safe surfer and not sure I need a third party firewall at this time. I love Comodo Firewall, but am now thinking Geswall Free may be better for my needs. I would like to try SSM Free, but get a slight bit worried about something going wrong with a program that strong.

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Security is about fear and convidence (emotionally) and problability and impact (ratio). When you have an image backup and keep regular backups of your data, I do not think (personal opinion) you need an outbound software firewall.

We do not even use a software firewall (only hardware Nat router FW, with 113 send into oblivian). XP's firewall has very little extra security over your hardware firewall.

I know my son has visited some pretty nasty sites with Antivir + Cyberhawk and GeSWall. When you download via the web (not P2P) I think your okay with the free version. When you should encounter a configuration problem, go into private mail and I will see if we can solve it together.

I must say that DefenseWall runs flawlessly and better out of the box when also using P2P. GeSWall needs some fiddling to obtain the same. You also use Firefox don't you (in stead of IE). So I would take the risk and wait for Vista (has a build in configurable firewall).

One tip enable DEP in XP for all programs.

By the way on my company laptop (very fast) I run Bufferzone free when using acces point abroad (admin only said he would install one extra ap for me, it had to be free and have zero configiration installation ease). So I agree with earlier comments of other members: there all fine aps (but I only would use BZ on a very powerfull PC).

Regards Kees

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  12. duke1959

Thanks Kees1958, I may give Geswall Free a spin, and thanks for your offer for help if needed. If I do use it and have any problems I'll certainly PM you. Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.