Cybercriminals target Silverlight users with new exploit kit

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by siljaline, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...target_Silverlight_users_with_new_exploit_kit

Poster comments: Use Silverlight only if the platform is specifically required. Microsoft sites often ask that Silverlight be used, otherwise it is not a requirement.

2. Who uses silver-light anyway? Useless rubbish.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

To you maybe, but I like to occasionally watch Netflix online videos, and at this point it does use Silverlight, so I need it.

Solution for me is keep it patched and run through Sandboxie. Also have the browser and it's addins protected by Appguard.

Pete

4. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

6. siljaline

7. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Good to see they released an exploit for a known vulnerablity, which has been fixed in March'13. So, users regular with updating their machines, should no need to be worried.

If you use IE11 on 8.1 or Metro Netflix App on 8 or 8.1, Netflix runs plugin free :cool: :thumb: Personally i use Metro App :)

8. siljaline

There is no information newer versions of MS Silverlight are less vulnerable to attack than previous versions. Other than what has been already cited, Netflix subscribers and others that require the platform are actively at risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.