CWS.GoogleMS.3

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by dog, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

CWS.GoogleMS.3

I downloaded a trial version of pest patrol 4 ... It returned a finding of adware titled CWS.GoogleMS.3, as a registery entry as Hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\current version\internet settings\zone map\domains\xxxtoolbar.com.

The trail version doesn't delete or quarantine any items. Norton Av, Spybot, Adware ... don't report this...

So the question is ... What exactly is this item ... What does it do? ( I haven't noticed anything, but it looks like some kind of adult toolbar) .... I'm just concerned about my children, and what they may or may not of accessed on the web, even though NIS limits their access. I'm not novice user, but I guess not advance user either, ... Could someone suggest a registery editor or some advice to delete this entry.

Although, this is a little off topic, I'm also looking for an Anti-Trojan Suite, I liked the trial of TDS3 the best, but it's a toss up between TDS3, Trojan Hunter, and BO Cleaner ... any advice on what suite is the best and user friendly?

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi dog,

Click Start >> Run >> type regedit >> click OK
    Navigate to that key.
    Can you tell me the Default>REG_DWORD>Data Value?

Regards,
    Kent

3. dog

dog Guest

Hey Puff-m-d :)

I've gone into regedit ... Hkey_current_user\software\microsoft ... but from there, there's no current version, or internet settings ....
    But i think I found it under ...

Hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current user\internet settings\zone map\domains\xxxtoolbar.com

Reg Dword value = 0x00000004 (4), (Default) Reg_SZ (value not set)

There's a lot of sites listed under domains - I guess to be around 200. Is this some kind of protection generated from Spyware Blaster 3.0 or Spybot's immunize function?

Thanks in advance for your help!!! ;)

4. dog

dog Guest

Kent

Another question, as I see you have TDS3, and Trojan Hunter listed in your sig. I'm looking to purchase an Anti-Trojan, and it's a toss up between TDS3, Trojan Hunter, and BO Cleaner ... Although I liked the trial of TDS3 the best. Do you have any Adviceo_O

Thanks in advance. :)

Steve

5. puff-m-d

A value of 4 is good as that means you are protected against it. If the value was 2, that would mean you were infected. This means this is a false positive on Pest Patrol's part.

Yes, the new version of SB now has domain protection and this is what you are seeing there.

I just hope I cleared things up for you a bit.

Regards,
    Kent

6. puff-m-d

Any of the 3 are excellent choices. I would suggest trialing TDS and TH and see which one you like the best. TDS is my personal choice. BoClean does not offer a trial but gives a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

If you have any questions on these, just go to the appropriate forum and browse around and then ask any questions you may have there.

Regards,
    Kent

7. dog

dog Guest

Thanks SO much for your help! Puff-m-d :D
    It's a relief to have this knowledge ... Thanks for the peace of mind!

BTW - if they're all equal (The 3 Anti-Trojans Listed), ... and since they've all gotten good reviews ... and your the second person to recommend TDS, I'll go with TDS3, the one I prefered as a trial.

Thanks again for your help, support and peace of mind. I'm glad to know all is well with my monsters[sic] / ... I mean youngsters.

Sincerely;

Steve :cool:

8. puff-m-d

Hi Steve,

It was my pleasure ;) ...

Regards,
    Kent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.