Custom built PC - Need supplier

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fontaine, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Reading about TigerDirect on another post got me thinking. I'm getting ready to build another custom pc and I'm looking for the best (i.e. cheapest) supplier. For my last pc I just went to the local microcenter. They're cheap and if something is messed up, I can take the parts back. Anyone have another recommendation (online solution), or should I stick to Microcenter? I'm thinking online won't work because ordering so many parts, most likely from a few different sites, could result in shipping fees or just be a real pain in the arse for minimal savings. Suggestions?

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

A lot of people say newegg is good.

3. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I've had good experiences with NewEgg. They are fast and offer great customer service. So pleased with them, I would pay a higher price, though finding a lower one is hard, and buy from NewEgg versus another supplier.
    SourMilk out

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

5. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Microcenter is a great store for those few people lucky enough to be within local proximity. (I'm on my 4th PowerSpec with no regrets).
    Let your $ dictate. Newegg is a great supplier.
    Take into account shipping costs (may be offset by local taxes when purchasing locally from MicroCenter)
    That a BIG plus. Versus calling/emailing and obtaining return goods authentication no.s, additional shipping, waiting another week, etc.
    Shop local. There is nothing like eye to eye sales / support.
    All that said, MHO: Ascertain whether $ offset warrant online purchase. From what I've researched, Microcenter is very competetive.

6. RAD

RAD Registered Member

NEWEGG !!!

Aside from the selection and lowest prices, their site has an enormous number of helpful features.

Did I mention NEWEGG!!!! ??

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

NEWEGG is a very reputable place to buy from. Have never had a bad experience with them. Had to return a product to them that wouldn't work on my system and they gave a refund with no problems at all.

8. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Same as others have said, Newegg. Built a system last year and had to return 2 mobos, they did so with a smile. Can't beat their customer service.

9. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Sweet...thanks to everyone. I've found the best deals online through buy.com (via their daily/weekly sales), but I'll subscribe to newegg and see how they compare.

BobD, I agree Microcenter is just as competitive as the others I've looked into. I'll do some due diligence and let you guys know what I decide on.

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Last custom system i built i got all the parts off ebay.

11. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Newegg has been good for me for the past couple of years.
    However, their customer service isn't as sharp as it was in the past.
    Micro center has some good prices but I generall can save a good bit of money by shopping online.

12. Sully

Sully Registered Member

My account at newegg now shows $9,000 + in orders. I have built all of my computers from thier parts, as well as others computers. I have ordered everything from 27" lcd monitors to $600 video cards. I have had a few bad products, and have never had to 'battle' them to get an rma/refund/return.

I do know a guy who ordered 2x1gb stix of ram, and recieved 2x512 stix, and he did have to 'battle' them for some reason. He is the only person I have ever heard of that this sort of thing happened to.

As another tip, for some cool products you may not see on newegg, try out performance-pcs.com. I have ordered lots of stuff from them too. I have talked to the owner on a couple occasions to ensure what they advertised is what I was getting. So far after a couple dozen orders, no problems.

Another one I use for some wierd small parts like fans or cables is jab-tech.com. I have made a dozen or so orders and never had an issue.

I have also used mwave with success and a couple items from ewiz and pcmall. Don't know much other than I got what I paid for from those.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.