Custom Build and Latest Build

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by phasechange, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Hi!

My recovery disk is a custom build to get ATI9 to see all my drives including USB and SATA for restores (it wont see them on reboot or booting off the normal CD). Is it safe to use the latest build of ATI in Windows for making images or do I need the same or later version to be used on my boot disk? The previous build worked fine and I installed the new build then thought hmmm maybe this will be a problem.

Does 3854 change the format or is it only "GUI changes" as claimed in the release notes?

Thanks,
    Phasechange :cool:

2. GroomLake

GroomLake Registered Member

Perfect example why we need to see the change control log.

3. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Phasechange,

My initial tests with the new build of True Image Home, V 9.3854, indicate that something is different between the way V 9.3854 creates archives, and the way 9.3677 does. At least the V 9.3677 Boot CD was unable to display the content tree of any newly created Files and Folders archives made with V 9.3854. V 9.3677 Validated the newer archives, but wouldn't restore files from them. Don't know how the two interact in the other modes...

Seems to me that Acronis should provide us with some documentation on the changes that have been made, and how the new build differs from, or in incompatible with the earlier builds(s).

If you make an image before trying out the new build (perhaps two or three for safety), at least you should be able to restore that image if the new build doesn't work out on your system. Since I've read in other threads that ATI leaves many bits and pieces behind on any uninstall, I made a fresh image of my system and program partitions, in case I wanted to return to V 9.3677. Wouldn't want any residue to hamper what works already.

Regards,

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  4. phasechange

Thanks Chris! As ever a fantastically helpful post from you. I had made the mistake of installing without taking a recent image first :oops: (I was enthusiastically hoping that my Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard would be supported by this release as I miss Snap Restore).

I'm going to try uninstalling the new version and reinstalling the old version. If it goes wrong I can always go back to an old image.

The new version doesn't seam to fix any of my problems anyway.

Phasechange

5. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Good morning Phasechange,

Please let me know how your uninstall and reinstall of build 9.3677 goes...I have not yet tried that, and would love to learn that it works. Far better to have the software clean itself up than to have to restore the whole works.

I'm still out here on the experimental frontier with build 9.3854, and have no idea what might turn out to not work, nor even what such new features as Ignore Read Errors actually do.

Guess GUI improvements doesn't mean helping us U's interface well with the program.o_O

Regards,

Christopher

6. phasechange

The reinstall has gone fine and I've mounted a few backups to test them and ran a new one and all is well. The process is:

1. Uninstall
    2. Reboot
    3. Install old version
    4. Say yes to overwriting each newer DLL with the older DLL
    5. Reboot
    6. Use

I would love an ATI build with Intel P965 chipset support to be released. I'd even upgrade to 10 if it worked. Until they can give me a fully functioning version I'll stick with my mixture of Old version in Windows for backup and BartPE CD for restores OR my custom build bootable CD from Acronis for Restores. I miss some of the nice features like restoring without using a CD.

When ATI is working I really like the way it works however when things are half working it gets annoying.

Cheers,
    Phasechange :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.