Current setup - probably too much - help?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kdm31091, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I realize my setup is in my signature but I wanted to know what you folks think of it. Currently:

*Antivir Premium w/ Firewall
    *Spyware Terminator
    *SAS Free
    *SSM free
    *Snoop Free
    *Ewido Micro scanner
    *A Squared free
    *Spyware Blaster
    *Spyware Guard
    & *Winpatrol Free

I realize the setup is probably excessive now all I need is advice on what to remove without sacrificing much protection.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if it were me, id remove Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, and winpatrol.

id also only keep one (maaaybe two) of the following: ewido, SAS free, A Squared free

again, its only my choice (opinion). youre free to choose your own setup.

3. kdm31091

Removed Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster, and A-Squared, for now. Also forgot to note I have Arovax Shield.

So now the setup is Antivir, Spyware Terminator, SAS Free, Snoopfree, SSM free & Ewido Micro, & Winpatrol. I use winpatrol purely for the BHO, Cookie, etc management; that's why I'm keeping it.

4. gevin

gevin Registered Member

i think Winpatrol & SSM function might be overlap, and can handle most what Arovax Shield can do, or even better, maybe you can trim one of them, that will save you only few resource.

my 2 cents

5. kdm31091

How is SSM's Registry protection? What does the Allow function do? It sounds stupid but I mean, if I don't select Allow does the change not take effect? How about Deny? I don't quite get how it works. How thorough is it, good enough for basic protection or still should use a registry monitor like MJReg Watcher?

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I use Win Patrol Plus, and it has some good features. I would not want to be without it.
    I especially like the abilities to disable start-up, as it permits me to use more than one anti-spyware, but not to have all active at the same time. I also like the Plus ability to identify what a process is, and whether it is safe or not.

Best,
    Jerry

7. gevin

gevin Registered Member

IMHO, SSM is for more Advance user, which have enough knowladge base on what installed on your system and/or which site do you visit, to train SSM (which you need to select Allow or Deny). that mean you got more control over how your system work. I tried SSM for half an hour, give up cause don't like the nag window (that why i not a teacher/trainer). WinPatrol make me feel better, or it will smart enough to decide what safe for me. Or you can try Online Armor. This one make me feel the best, very smart and save, will pop up process it cautch's details window, ask for your permission to Allow or Deny. The details popup is detail enough you can easily indentified what happening, then you can decide what to do easily.

8. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

9. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I'd run Antivir premium w/ firewall and nothing else, with an occasional scan by Dr.Web's CureIt utility. I'm a minimalist when it comes to security products.

10. kdm31091

Considering just using Prevx1, Antivir w/ Firewall and that's it. Would that be sufficient?

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

sure.

i use just prevx1 + AV + FW and its great. i do have ewido micro for ondemand scans, but i mostly rely on my av.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.