Current firewall that acts like NAV 2001?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cochese, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cochese

cochese Registered Member

Current firewall that acts like NPF 2001?

Ok...I know what you're thinking, NPF 2001?!?! Back in say, 2002, I started using Nortans PF 2001, and then a year later I started using a router...I felt 2001 was outdated (plus it didn't work well with XP) so I just removed it and went with the router's protection. I did this for awhile, but now I realize that I want a firewall to monitor OUTGOING traffic...and there lies my problem, I can't find one (preferably free) that works similar to NPF 2001.

btw...I'm new to the forum...hello. Ok.

I have 2 examples to help demonstrate how NPF 2001 worked. The first one is this little program called konfabulator that when loaded, starts up these plugins (widgets) that do different stuff (i.e. puts a little weather graphic on the desktop). When the plugins start up, the program calls out to websites that the plugins require to say, give me the current weather - but the program also likes to call home (I don't know why...which is why I block it). Now, if I was using this program with NPF 2001, I would get a warning message that lets me know that konfabulator.exe is calling out to xoap.weather.com (which I would allow), and then I would get a message that lets me know it also is calling out to www.konfabulator.com (which I could deny). These new rules would stay, and work everytime. So basically I would be given the option to set a rule for every little thing a program does network wise.

Another example, that may make more sense to everyone is say with ICQ. In NPF 2001 I could start up ICQ and get a warning message telling me that it's contacting out...I could permanently allow this. I would then get a message telling me that ICQ was also connecting out another way (I forget the port/address) so it could update & run the ads at the bottom of every IM screen...I could then easily block the port that allowed the ads to run in each chat window permanently.

Granted I would end up with alot of rules...but that was ok with me.

Now I'm tring out Sygate's free firewall, and it's driving me batty. When I load the Konfabulator app, Sygate will ask me if I want to allow access to the site for the weather program, if I select yes & remember, then it goes ahead and lets all the plugins have access (also allowing konfabulator.exe to call home). I could select yes & not to remember, which allows me to select which plugins get access, but then I have to do this everytime I load up konfabulator.

I tried using the Application Rules, and setup only the trusted IPs to use, but the weather plugin doesn't always go to the same IP (and I don't know how to find them all)...so that doesn't work. Then I went to the advanced rules part, and setup a rule to block the app from calling home (but again, I have to put in each IP, and if it uses several, I won't know them all). The same would apply to say, ICQ, and it's ads...I would have to know the protocol/port/and whatever else in order to setup the rule to block the ads - where as NAV 2001 would just say ICQ was trying to contact out on so & so port using so & so protocol, do you want to allow or deny it...it just seemed to cut to the chase.

As you might find obvious, I'm not super skilled with networking & firewalls, but I want a rules based one - I just need alittle assistance from the program (which I felt NPF 2001 did). Is anyone aware of a current firewall that acts this way? I guess basically a firewall that will ask your permission for every act that a program tries to do - and remember those rules.

Thank you for your time & help.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi cochese

... and welcome to Wilders :)

It take it you mean NIS/NPF?
    A free firewall that would provide similar functionality that you are used to is Kerio 2.1.5

Regards,

CrazyM

3. cochese

cochese Registered Member

holy moly, you're right NIS/NPF...not NAV...what a stupid mistake. ..as though I needed to sound more retarded... :p

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.