Curious OpenDNS / Orange Issue

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by philby, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello there

Have been using Open DNS for a long time on home network, 1 desktop + 2 laptops.

I don't use any auto-updater for when the network's public IP is changed by Orange, the ISP. I normally wait until my shortcuts fail and take this as a cue to manually update the ip in the OpenDNS control panel.

On Monday and Tuesday nights this week, at around 10pm UK time, I could no longer open google.com / .co.uk or opendns.com in either Opera or IE7.

I could still, however, open any other site.

The same problem was replicated on all 3 machines.

I checked the router and found that if I switched to "Get DNS automatically from ISP", I could open google again. If I immediately switched back to "use the following DNS, ie 208.67.220.220 etc", the problem disappeared and all sites were accessible again.

The problem was not that shortcuts didn't work, it was that I could not manually open any google or opendns related sites from either browser's address bar.

Weird.

Anyone else?

philby

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

The problem could've been in the browsers. Browser Ghost Buster Maybe reinstall browsers if below doesn't work.
    The DNS cache in the computer. CMD.exe ipconfig /flushdns

Maybe some one else has better ideas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.