Cumulative Update for Windows 10 x64 version 1709 (KB4056892) didn't allow postpone update!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

So I got a message from Microsoft alerts today saying updates were available to install. I think it gave me 3 options, and one of them was something like don't update now, or update later. I chose that option since I still had plenty of work to finish. I stepped away from my computer for about 20 minutes, and when I came back my computer had restarted, and was installing the updates! Thank you Microsoft for closing all my work! This is one of many many times I have seen this type of behavior, and worse with Windows 10 update feature.

The update was Cumlative Update for Windows 10 x64 version 1709 (KB4056892). If you are alerted to this update then you may want to save your work no matter how big of an inconvenience it is, and allow it to update since it may just update anyway no matter which option you choose.

2. guest

guest Guest

i don't get the alert (yet)...

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Are you using Windows 10 version 1709?

4. guest

guest Guest

yep, i don't even get the update from MS on any of my machines.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

The update is for January. I get everything earlier than most users here. Microsoft pushes out the experimental builds for Developers Update to me months before rolling out the stable build, and doesn't give me any option to defer the updates. It did this my last 3 days of the semester before finals, and caused major problems on my machine. I had to ask for an extension on my assignments because of it.

6. guest

guest Guest

There is a setting in the group policy to prevent it from restarting automatically if users are logged in.
    "Computer Configuration\Administrator Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update\No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic update installations"

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Thank you! I will take a look at that.

8. anon

anon Registered Member

9. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I didn't either, guest. If you dont want to wait, you can get the update from the Microsoft Update Catalog. Thats what I did, installing, rebooting, etc, all was perfect.

Bo

10. guest

guest Guest

@bo elam yes i guess it is what i will do.

11. bo elam

It was smooth. Just make sure if you are using an AV, that the AV is OK with the update (the registry key). I didnt have the key but I am not using anything.

Bo

12. guest

guest Guest

@bo elam I have just Emsisoft AM on one of my machines and we are compatible with the update.

13. bo elam

You should be alright.

Bo

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

EAM installed here with Emsi compatibility fix applied through its update definitions.

KB4056892 downloaded and installed here automatically and was waiting for a restart.

Perhaps a restart of your machine guest and then see if Mic Updates offers it?

15. amico81

amico81 Registered Member

i have used a trial of kaspersky antivirus... I got no update !
    then i kicked kaspersky from my pc and...surprise...win update KB4056892

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Are you sure EAM has updated to receive the MS update? My 2 Win 10 machines with Avira Pro had a 4 hour window difference with the update required by Avira, after which MS instantly offered KB4056892

17. Cutting_Edgetech

I don't need to install it manually since it installed on it's own already. I just was not ok with it installing, and rebooting my machine after I chose to install it at a later time. It asked if I wanted to install the update now, and chose to install it later, and it installed it anyway. I would have still been ok with the install as long as it allowed me to chose when to reboot to finalize the install. I'm assuming when I stepped away for 20 minutes it prompted me again about the same update, and installed it anyway since I was not there to answer the prompt again. It may not have prompted me again at all though. I would find it odd to prompt a user about the same update again so soon after they chose to install it at a later time.

Edited 1/5 @ 4:33 am

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  18. guest

guest Guest

19. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    me too , today , my os is 1709 (16299.125) did you update it?
    thanks

20. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, I updated it. I didn't have a choice. It downloaded the update, and rebooted my computer without giving me an option to defer the update. It really didn't matter though because I reformated my machine today. The new school semester starts tomorrow so I wanted to make sure my machine is in good working order.

21. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I'm sure you know there's settings you can adjust so all DL's/reboots happen when your not using the Pc. I've found it to work very well.

22. guest

guest Guest

I did and nothing happens; not saying this machine even refuses the manual installation...it can't completes.

23. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, it didn't matter with this update. It ignored the settings. It even rebooted anyway even though I chose to install the update at a later time when prompted.

24. Cutting_Edgetech

I reformated my machine 2 days ago for school, and I had to install Office 360. It takes for ever for the installer to download, and install the Office Suite. Well, i'm sitting there watching tv waiting for the install to complete, and suddenly my computer shuts down. I think to myself that it must have gone into hibernation mode during the install. I try using the mouse, and keyboard, and it will not exit hibernation mode. I hit the power button, and suddenly the computer begins to boot starting with the POST screen! I couldn't believe that it would just shut down right in the middle of installing Office 360. I checked Windows event viewer to see why it shut down, and it said that Windows went into hibernation mode due to 30 minutes of System Idle time. You would think that Windows could detect when it's installing it's own software, and not enter hibernation mode.

I had just configured Windows not to enter Hibernation Mode, but an update that installed added an additional hibernation mode feature that was set to 30 minutes by default.

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.