Crying Shame

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-Rescue Forum' started by WilliamP, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

FDISR. Was a great program. I don't understand why it was allowed to die. Now Rescue is dead? I am lucky that I still have the original. It has saved my hinny several times. What program would be a good replacement for FD?

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

It's called "MONEY" and ISR's absense was less competition for the other main player. Then they came back with a dumber version to get some more money off the loyal ISR followers :thumbd:

3. WilliamP

Money does make things happen. I have seen some good programs that you would think should be safe, but just don't make it. What would be the best to replace FD?

4. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I searched but found nothing that could really replace FD efficiently. For me, I will probably continue to use it on win 7 (following Pandlouk's instructions) for the time being...
    But I am also wide opened to give a look to any new suggestions!
    Even studying Windows 7's new extended Restore fonctionalities + its available Addon, beh!

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Roxio BackOnTrack Suite.

Panagiotis

6. WilliamP

Thank you for the information. The reason I am asking is I have a new notebook with Windows 7 and I am thinking about back up software.

7. ruinebabine

I should give a run on this road as fast as I will have finish to build my new win7 x64 system. But this Add-on being a early beta (ver 0.0.5), and TimeTraveler being a... shareware, I will be better to be prepared by rounding up a good set of backups first...

I am not decided yet if I will allow each of those solutions (sp?) a dedicated FD's snapshot or a virtual machine, what do you think should be best/easiest, and $heapest?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This is been a very long debated issue over FD-ISR (Original) which i still am happy to report that at least those versions are TIMELESS!

At least on my XP Pro machine. There will never be another app so intelligently designed and nearly flawless in execution so far as backing up entire systems and pulling them up again at will as well as operating several systems in perfect working order on a single workstation like the old FD-ISR offered.

However, whoever does dare match that sort of feat again will be highly rewarded with a massive following and profit maker to boot!

EASTER

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Actually with a little bit of effort, FDISR runs fine on Win 7 x86 and Win 7 x64. I have it running on both.

Pete

10. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

true pete, but there are 2 issues i take with fdisr on win7:
    -ever increasing snapshot /archive size due to the winsxs folder in win7, and
    -misreporting of snapshot size

i did a bit of study on this and found no resolution, one however could just get a nice big 500gig or terabyte hard drive for the system drive, and not worry about it *puppy*

11. ruinebabine

Are those 2 problems also present with the FDRescue version?

Because if not, it could mean that there is a technical possibility to alleviate them in FDISR too (being that Todd would be interested enough by this challenge...)...

12. Peter2150

Since I haven't played with Win 7 that much what is the winsxs folder issue?

Pete

13. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

i'd really love to at least be able to test this app. a great fan base here @ wilders mean it's got something hardly to find in others. it looks like it's no longer being developed, am i right?
    anyway, if there's a chance i could purchase a copy i'd be highly appreciated, so if somebody knows anything please post back.
    thanks.

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

FirstDefense IMHO made history for a brief but exciting period of time when it was a purely Leapfrog King of the ISR's :thumb:

15. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

16. Peter2150

This kind of post is a violation of TOS. No offers to exchange, buy or sell software is permitted. Any responses will go.

Pete

17. Peter2150

From what I could see on the website which was very little, I doubt if it will be close. So far nothing has been close.

18. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Dude, take it easy. I never made an offer. I was just wondering if there was a chance the developer (I don't know who he is but I know he hangs at Wilders) could sell me a copy cause from what I've read, it's no longer being developed.
    But OK, if it hurts somebody then please feel free to delete my post...

19. Peter2150

Sorry, but there was no other way I could take it. If you've read the forum at all, you'd know the developer has taken it off the market and sold the intellectual rights.

He couldn't sell a copy to you, and then not sell it to anyone else.

Hope you understand.

Pete

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The frustrations over FD-ISR being left to other distributor softwares makers IMO is like lending your best DVD surround sound systems to someone who is surely to not return it in the exact same condition as when you first was courteous enough to share allow them to use it to begin with.

It's disappointing but plainly obvious.

EASTER

21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

No argument there. For a several year period Todd was King, absolute Master of the ISR world. :cool:

Acadia

22. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

And it's at times like this morning when a program uninstall went very wrong that I am glad to still be living in the FD-ISR world.

A couple of minutes later after a copy/update and the botched uninstall was just a distant memory :)

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Would you be kind enough to point me to your instructions to install my FDSR on Win7? I will be getting a computer with Win7 in a while and my FDSR on my XP will be lost if I can't move it. Thanks in advance. :)

24. ruinebabine

Did you read https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=267909 ?

Or maybe are you talking of some more specific pandlouk's instruction?

Why did you bring Roxio BackOnTrack Suite in the portrait for your particular case? Do you mean to replace FDISR with it, on your windows 7 next setup?

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.