Critique on Calmwin?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wildman, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildman

wildman Registered Member

o_O Any info on this one? I just heard about it and can not seem to find out much about it.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :eek: :rolleyes: :D

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Wildman,

Did you check here.

Blue

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Calmwin aka Clamwin is IMO, just another AV in a long row, good enough as backup AV.
    Clamwin in the AV-comparatives test would give me a better idea of the quality of Clamwin.

4. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

I dont think the Clamwin database is capable of detecting 80% or more of the test samples they use at av-comparatives. Since clamwin's database is maybe 40,000. I think ClamWin would probably get a standard rating overall.

Regards,

Brandon

5. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:D Yup, but was more looking for opinions of individuals who had tried the product.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: ;)

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Wildman,

I thought as much, just making sure the home site was known.

I have not used the product, but as a general philosphical matter, I really wonder whether a effort such as ClamWin can suceed with an application which requires constant maintenance updates. Finally, as noted on the ClamWin site
    This certainly relagates it to a backup scanner role for the present time.

Blue

7. Dave-54321

Dave-54321 Guest

One positive note that I would like to point out is that Clamwin (ClamAV) is very quick at updating signature files for new "in the wild" type viruses and has often been seen updating faster then many paid antivirus programs for certain virus outbreaks. I personally think that detection of current viruses is much more important then viruses that are 5+ years old anyways. Aside from that, it's all about common sense.

Last I heard, Clamwin is trying to find people to help develop a real-time scanner for the project which would be excellent if/when that happens. I like it for the fact that it is an open-source project. But without a real-time scanner, it would really only be used as a backup scanner.

Clamwin will only get better and better with time.

Dave

8. alien8

alien8 Registered Member

ClamWin is supposed to be doing a real-time scanner but haven't heard anything about this for a while now. There is a real-time scanner out now.... but it's a very very early version and well, I must admit I've not tried it yet:

http://bede.tfm.ro/clamav/tfm_onaccessscan/

Feedback for it can be made here:
    http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-win32.html

Cheers,

Steve

9. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I use ClamWin as on demand ,but since i don't see infections often,can't tell how good it is.The one thing that i don't like is that they change version numbers too often and it's a bit annoying having to uninstall and reinstall the new version so often.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Maybe they should impliment component updater. Shouldn't be too hard since they already incorporate updater for definitions and their AV isn't resident.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.