Critique: Firefox inconveniences

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lotuseclat79, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

I have 17 of 41 Firefox add-ons that do not yet work with Firefox 4.0, so I am sticking to the latest 3.6.17 version for now.

In general there are two things that really bug me about Firefox.

At the end of every Firefox session, they have no Keep this site right-click option for history which would vastly simplify things for me. I always have to individually right-click delete everything I do not want to keep which usually ends up with one website with two links that I always keep. If I could just keep that one website, and any other I deem keep-able for that day's session - I would be a happy camper because I could just do the one or two right-clicks to keep those websites and trash the rest at exit.

Another item is the way they have eliminated the right-side x to clear a tab on the very last tab after all others have been cancelled. As it is now, I have to click on the + to create a new blank tab, and then the x appears on the last tab. It would be a one-click effort to clear the last remaining tab (I always show at least one tab), but there is no way to delete the content of the last remaining tab in one click - obviously, no one ever thought of the notion of efficient, easy to use convenience for the user in the UI for the tab features before they decided to not have the last remaining tab function of x to clear the content instead of eliminate the tab. They must have thought the previous way was too hard to maintain.

-- Tom

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Which add-ons are incompatible for you? Do they work after force installing them?

3. lotuseclat79

Hi J_L,

Here is the list of my FF add-ons that are incompatible with FF 4.0:
    BrowserMasquerade 1.3.1
    FireFTP 1.0.10 (Note: FireFTP 1.99.1 is compatible with Firefox 4.0)
    SafeHistory 0.9
    SafeCache 0.9
    Interclue 1.6.1.3
    Tech Support Guy Forums Menu 3.5.0
    Update Notifier 3.0.11
    Forecastbar Enhances 0.9.6
    Ubuntu Forums Menu 0.59
    Fasterfox 2.0.0
    Stealther 1.0.8
    Torbutton 1.2.5
    FEBE 6.3.3.2
    GoogleSharing 0.20
    Force-TLS 2.0
    Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 0.9rc2
    Perspectives 4.1

Note: Some have since been upgraded for FF 3.6.17.

I have not tried force installing yet. I just added extensions.checkCompatibility.4.0 and will post the results.

Thanks,

-- Tom

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Interclue 1.6.2 supports Firefox 4.
    Alternative for Ubuntu Forums Menu.
    FasterFox Lite and other versions support 4.
    There's a alpha for Torbutton.
    And a beta for FEBE. There's also MozBackup.
    GoogleSharing 0.21 supports Firefox 4.
    ForceTLS 3.0.0 supports Firefox 4. There's also HTTPSEverywhere
    Perspectives 4.1 supports Firefox 4.

5. lotuseclat79

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Works for me flawlessly in FF 4.0 and 4.0.1 (but no longer in Nightly 6.0a1).

If extensions don't work I suggest to try the Add-on Compatibility Reporter. It proved to be very useful in Nightly again: Most of my extensions are marked incompatible - but nearly all of them actually work.

8. lotuseclat79

Hi tlu,

I did in fact us the Add-on Compatibility Reporter with all of my incompatible extensions when FF 4.0 was in beta testing before its release.

Note: This thread is more about the critique of FF deficiencies as I see it fo the 2 presented in the writeup. The extension issue of incompatibility is only incidental to me.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.