CRITICAL ERROR, PHYSICAL DUMP OF MEMORY, BLUE SCREEN

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rjv42603, Mar 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjv42603

rjv42603 Registered Member

hope someone can help. Every so often, either at startup or in the middle of being on the internet, the screen goes blank as if the computer was restarting. Sometimes it will restart and sometimes I get a blue screen that has a long message that ends with Physical Dump of Memory Complete. I can't figure out what is going on. If this is problem you have heard of, please let me know how to fix it. Thanks.
    o_O

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hi rjv,
    being through almost same situation in not much earlier time, I advice to have your RAM get checked up first.
    If that is OK, the I will want you to go here and do as asked.
    If the problem is something related else, experts will be happy to help you out.
    First check RAM

KEEP POSTING

3. rjv42603

I'm not computer savvy. Where do I check the RAM? and what am I looking for when I get there? Any help would be appreciated.

4. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Mornin', rjv42603, and welcome to Wilders!

Here is a link to download a software RAM diagnostic program:

http://www.memtest86.com/memt31.zip

Unzip it to its own folder and run it. If it finds errors in your RAM, I'd replace the affected module(s). If there are no problems found, follow the link provided by Subratam. Where your problem is only occasional, I don't expect a hardware/RAM problem, and I suspect that Subratam's fix will be THE fix for you.

5. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Using Windows 2000 by chance ?

A few microsoft articals:

http://labmice.techtarget.com/troubleshooting/memorydumps.htm

6. rjv42603

No, windows XP

7. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Memtest is one of the best as diagnostics go. You're in good hands here. There are two editions, one for Linux and one for Windows. Let us know how it goes.

8. Shunned

Shunned Guest

XP..ok, then read this M$ artical:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;320299

comment: the problem you are experiencing can be cause by numerous reasons un-related to RAM. Overheating can cause the same problem...a poor set card, bad cable connection..an on and on.
    One thing you DON'T want to do is actually go inside the box.
    See if you can make the event log as M$ says and post it where SUB suggested. Try doing this before adding more software.
    Another thing. Microsoft turns on EVERYTHING before you purchase a computer so check to see what can be safely removed from start-up...printer...messenger...
    Do you have the ACTUAL XP cd? If so you can remove alot of things by way of Windows Setup....then re-install them one at a time until you reach the program thats causing the problem......have the cd or don't try this..because on some computers the programs wont re-install without the cd.
    Before anything else. MAKE THE EVENT LOG AND POST IT.....it WILL reveal the problem.
    POST THE EVENT LOG....let the guys here take a look at it BEFORE you do anything else on your own.
    Got to leave for the day.. so good luck

9. Shunned

Shunned Guest

SUBRATAN

Want to take a moment to compliment you on the wonderful way you are so willing to help others.
    During the past few days I've noticed your posts an have admired the kindness you have expressed to others and your knowledge. Its a
    pleasure knowing you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.