Critical Computer Error Killed Rollback Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DVD+R, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Hello, Today I have become quite concerned as to what exactly the problem that I have encountered is. I downloaded and Installed a Disk and Registry Cleaner (Win Utilities) which I used to cleanup some junk files and clean the registry. After I restarted my Computer I had an onscreen message stating Windows failed to start, and this could be because of a hardware or software problem,and to restart my computer, but the same happened. Next I restarted my Computer and hit the Home Key to enter the Rollback Subsystem Restore option, I chose the installation snapshot,and the snapshot started to load. The next thing I see on my screen is:

File\Boot\BCD
    Status Oxc000000F
    An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

The snapshot did not load and the windows failed to start appeared again. I rebooted again and again hit the home key to access Rollback. Rollback had taken a snapshot so I tried that, but no luck. Rollback continued to take snapshots at every reboot as such the snapshot history looked like this:

Rollback Subsystem reads:
    Installation
    scheduled snapshot 12.12pm
    scheduled snapshot 12.13pm
    scheduled snapshot 12.13pm
    and so forth and so forth. Rollback didnt save me or my data as It wouldnt load any snapshot. The only way I could access my computer again is by using the factory recovery disks,and Reinstall Windows again, thus everything was erased and lost. Whatever happened also Destroyed the Rollback ability to resore to a previous snapshot. Also the Windows Recovery would not load as it could not find my C: Drive :doubt: I think this proves that even System Recovery programs arnt Foolproof by any means. :doubt:

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

This is EXACTLY why i been so voiciferous over problems that continue to exist in Rollback at the thread in FD-ISR Forums that Chris continues to turn a deaf ear to.

There is a definite problem with this program that makes it a real and present threat to system stability as well as a complete loss of data.

I do sympathize greatly with your demise DVD+R and i been trying to press this point as much as possible without coming right out and saying the program can prove terribly destructive.

Oddly, when i encountered the same problem as you, Rollback did the same thing to me, just kept making snapshots it couldn't reach anyway, not even the baseline. It did leave me one out, and UnInstall, and i used it and proceeded to remove it entirely from my other units as well before they ended up with destroyed data and wasted effort on my part.

That program needs a serious going over by it's developers and thats a fact.

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I submitted this ro Horizondatasys, the Rollback people, and they asked if I could wait untill the new build comes out soon, And they will look over this problem and try and fix it up in the next build. I guess I can, So untill they bring out the new build (improved I hope I think I'll try FD-ISR)

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

This also highlights the importance of using a disk imaging program alongside a recovery program. Such as acronis trueimage + firstdefence ISR.

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I normally wouldn't go out on a limb like this as opposed to imaging apps nor do i recommend it, except for myself, but i've done more recovery imaging with FD-ISR than my PARAGON Drive BackUp program and in fact only keep PARAGON Images as a nuclear storm emergency fallback function.

I know it's not meant to replace but all you would have to do is reinstall Windows again provided you have a install disk, and then install anew FD-ISR and if you have stockpiled BOTH snapshots & archives of FD-ISR, you can easily and quickly rebuild your system as a course correction from any disaster including Hard Drive failure provided your motherboard hasn't been deactivated by some destruction requiring replacement. And even then, i wonder if one couldn't still restore their system again with that.

One thing remarkable enough is that your data/files would still be at our command and accessible, so even then, they are 100% recoverable, but of course we're speaking more logically of restoring EVERYTHING as in settings, boot structure and the like.

Rollback isn't even close to being in the same league as FD-ISR imho.

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK, I have installed FD-ISR 3.20 build 202, and I have created 2 new snapshots, 1 is a Copy of the clean installation of Windows I did with my recovery disks (I called this Original Factory Settings) and the second is a Copy of the Primary snapshot. I intend to keep the Original Factory Settings snapshot untouched, unless some major **** happens, and I can boot back to it as a last resort. The copy of the Primary snapshot however, I want it to update from the Primary at Midnight each day, so I always have a Seconf Primary Image, But I cant figure out how to get past the User and password bit o_O I'm logged in Windows Vista without having to enter a password each bootup, and I tried Adding a password (with success I might add) so now I need to enter a password at each startup, But FD-ISR says its Invalid or I need to have full administrator privilages, and I cant set the scheduler o_O How do I do It o_O

Incidently, is it possible to create an empty snapshot, and Install Windows XP Pro on that snapshot o_O Even though the Other 3 snapshots have Windows Vista on them o_O

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

DVD+R, if I was you I would post the above in the First Defence forum where you will receive all the help you need in a very short time.

You have made a wise choice with FD-ISR.:)

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

heh: is this Vista protecting you against you: You are not the actual admin by default in Vista??
    You might need to alter the user level permissions for the FDISR scheduler ??
    or yourself as admin rights

I dont have Vista but this might be...

9. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

DVD+R, I'm assuming that your problem occured using Rollback v8, correct?

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

You are correct yes, pvsurfer ;)

11. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

That's what I thought. As you can see from my sig (below), I have been testing RB v8 (on my test system) and have reported in other threads that it is 'not yet ready for prime-time'.

The final build of v7.2.1 is rock-solid and completely trust-worthy on WinXP. If you are running Vista, you will have to wait until the development team can chase-down the gremlins running around in v8. ;)

12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah you should have no problems creating an empty snapshot to install xp on. Although i've never done it with vista i've had, windows 2000, xp home, xp pro and windows 2003 all running in seperate snapshots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.