CRegistryDownload Class?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MikeBCda, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi all,

This is one more that I'm making a best-guess about where to post the question -- I promise not to blink too hard if it gets moved. ;)

I make a point of running disk cleanup after coming offline -- and of taking a quick look in Downloaded Program Files while there to see what's currently there, since if a dialer should slip through then that's where it would typically wind up.

One item currently showing is CDownloadRegistry Class -- it struck me as oddball only because there's no copyright or other company info in its Properties, which is unusual for an app in this location.

AdAware and avast scans found nothing, and SpywareGuard hasn't kicked out any warnings. And the Task Manager isn't showing anything active that obviously ties into it.

Anybody recognize this? I did a DogPile search, and while I didn't follow more than one or two of the references it turned up, they all seem to be service- and security-related forums like here.

Probably nothing to worry about, but of course I wouldn't mind getting that confirmed, with additional testing if necessary.

Thanks and best,
    Mike

(Edit) A typical "oops, forgot" -- I'm using IE-6 under XP-Home, both with all critical upgrades. And SpywareBlaster's installed too, although if I understand correctly that one wouldn't "say" anything because it's not an active process.

2. MikeBCda

Sorry to "bump" this up, but no comments in a couple of days is unusual for us.

Maybe the mods could find a better home for it?

Thanks and best,
    Mike

3. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

It hails from this site: http://support.paltalk.com/

Nothing to worry about, I'm happy to say...

4. MikeBCda

Thanks, Tony -- since I no longer bother with Paltalk, obviously it can safely come out. They upgraded a couple of weeks ago, and I guess overlooked putting their company ID into the "Version" info for the upgrade.

Thanks again, and best,
    Mike

5. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

No prob; glad to help! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.