Creating System Restor Point Before Using Antimalware

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by rOadToIS, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

I create system restore points before and after using antimalware in case I delete some critical system files. Is this enough backup method for resolving blue screen/system crash problem caused by removing malware?

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

System restore points are unreliable.

I wouldn't recommend depending on it. Imaging software is more reliable.

3. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

How do I restore imaged file?

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Another problem with that idea is, if your system is infected and you create a restore point then that restore point is infected. Anti-malware programs can not clean restore points since they are protected\locked by the OS.

5. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

But you WILL need restore point in case cleaning up the infection hoses the machine for good.

It can happen. Restore point, even if infected, is still restore point :) Which one do you prefer, not working PC or working but infected PC? At least with the infected one you can try to clean it :)

After the cleanup, restore points must of course be cleared to ensure no infection remains there. But for the duration of cleanup, if one does not have backup images for the computer, restore point is a must.

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Everyone has a preferred method for cleaning. My personal method is to first back-up anything the client wants, needs to be saved. I make it very clear that the cleaning may cripple the machine.

If a restore point is created which is infected. Then you are back to the beginning should the PC become totally unusable when cleaning and you use the restore point. Nothing is gained. If it works at all.

Just my way of doing things. All my systems have the restore point turned off. Have heard both good and bad as far as it`s reliability. If you add malware infections into it on a poorly running PC then, IMO, all bets are off as to how well it may or may not function on an infected or crippled by attempted removal of the infections PC.

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

That depends on hardware/software.

For example, I have an external harddisk where I store images, the imaging software I use is Acronis version 8. With Acronis 8 I made a bootable cd-r, and if I have to restore an image (of the entire harddisk, not a single file) I reboot my computer with the external harddisk connected and the cd-r, a very simple process.

From what I've read, the latest Acronis version is more complicated/bloated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.