Creating live bootable windows xp

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    For those of you who want to make serious computer maintenance and be able to kill the spyware easily, this might be the solution:
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    PE Builder creates bootable live windows xp cds, with network access and more. Custom folders and files can be added, a real treat.
    Just made a copy, and even added Ad-Aware onto it, for the fun of seeing how it works. Real cookie. Even managed to update definitions through proxy from the cd and ran scan of both the boot drive and c: (original system). You have a file you cannot delete? A horrendous trojan hiding there and massacring processes? There's the solution.
    I think it's worth checking out.
    The disk took only about 150mbs. Lots of more stuff can be added!
    Mrk

P.S. Of course, you need an installation disk, preferably with sp2.

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

3. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

4. I have a couple question if you can answer. You say it only takes up 150MBs right? Which programs does that include, if any?

I don't understand this part, how do I enter a source path?
    (Taken from the www.nu2.nu website):
    Start PE Builder (pebuilder.exe). At the main PE Builder dialog, enter the source path to your original Windows XP/2003 Installation/Setup CD. You can use the "..." button to navigate.

Thanks very much if you can help.

5. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    Answers:
    150mb is basically the windows kernel plus some utilities that you can find listed under plugins on that page. You can also additionally add your own plugins. For instance, irfanview and adaware are not added by default. I added those to see how they work out. There's the bart repository (link on the site), with all the possible plugins you can download. Basically, you need to donwload cab files and extract them. Then, you can open the htm files in each archive, which will tell you what folders and files you need to create in the plugin folder of the pebuilder in order to allow these to be added on next image creation.
    I've found spybot, avg and zonealarm plugins, but I need to play with those a little more.
    Source: take your windows disk (preferably xp sp2, if not slipstream one, ask me if you need) and place it in your dvd/cd drive (let's say e:). Now, the source to your installation files will simply be e:.
    Hope this helps,
    Cheers,
    Mrk

6. Thanks Mrkvonic. So just to be completely clear, your saying that Ad-aware and Irfanview are not part of the 150MB that you mentioned, correct?

Also my XP disk has sp2 already on it, I bought XP late last year, so I guess it's all set then, no slipstreaming needed.

Thanks again. :)

7. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    Something nice:
    http://ubcd4win.com/index.htm
    Here you can donwload plugin and drivers folders and replace existing ones. These plugin and drivers contain far more utilities (or) drivers than the original ones. This will give you much 'richer' bart pe disks, with excellent utilities.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.