creating image outside of secure zone?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cochese, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cochese

cochese Registered Member

I'm using version 8 (got it for free during a promotion) and have had no luck at getting anything working yet.

I created a recovery CD, which was difficult in itself (I had to use safe mode for it to actually bootup on). Anyway, I went to go make a new image after booting from the recovery CD and I'm unable to save the image on any drive. The 'Next' button stays dim unless I select the Secure Zone as the area to save the new image to. I want to create an image of my C: drive and save it on my D: drive. When I select D: as the destination for saving, and give the image a name, 'Next' never becomes selectable.

What am I doing wrong?

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Does this also happen if you try and run the backup from within Windows?

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Also make sure you have the latest build (937) of version 8. If any of your drives are SATA, the bootable CD may not see them.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

1. If you have a Seagate or Maxtor drive, their supplied utility is a Acronis True Image custom version which is a newer version (newer than version :cool: but does not have all the features of a normal version.

2. When performing a backup and you reach the "Backup Archive Location" screen,
    a. Choose the Secure zone (SZ) only if you intend to store the new backup inside the SZ. No user created file name necessary in the SZ.

b1. If you intend to store the backup elsewhere, Click on Drive D (may have click on My computer to display all the drives).
    b2. Click on the folder inside Drive D where you plan to store the new backup; or
    click the "create new folder icon" and create a new folder inside drive D.​
    3. The "next" option will remain greyed out until you type the name you want assigned to the backup such as "Mybackup.tib". Be sure and include the ".tib" as part of the name and do not use spaces or periods as part of the name.

4. If you want to know more about the secure zone, check that topic in the sticky on line 1 of my signature below.

5. If you're new to TrueImage, check out my guides on line 2 of my signature below.

6. Should you decide to change to a different version of TrueImage, each version is a standalone version. Un-install previous versions before installing a different version.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  5. cochese

I did those steps exactly. After nameing the file (ie WinXPSP2.tib) the next button never becomes clickable.

I'm going to have to look for an alternative to Acronis. Good thing I took advantage of the free offer and didn't waste my money.

6. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Version 9 is vastly improved over ver. 8 and to some extent, so is ver 10. But ver 11 seems to have been a nightmare for many users. Glad I stuck with ver 9.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cochese,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please provide a screenshot of the problem screen with the string with backup name filled?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. cochese

No I'm not able to, it's off a the boot up CD I made with Acronis, so I can't do a screen capture.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cochese,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that Acronis True Image 8.0 is a very old version, and the bootable media may not have the necessary drivers for modern hardware. We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 11 Home to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 11 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product. Notice that as you already own a previous version of Acronis True Image, you can purchase an upgrade installation package at reduced price (as compared to independent installation package).

Anyway, we can investigate the problem with using Acronis True Image 8.0 and try to provide you with a solution. Could you please clarify, what happens when you try to boot the full version of Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (instead of safe version)?

Please also try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Note that for Acronis True Image 8.0 you need to press F11 button when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears and not when the selection screen appears (Acronis True Image 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD does not have any selection screen).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.