Creating Image from non-partition to use on partition...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by daygo140, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daygo140

daygo140 Registered Member

I have purchased Acronis True Image 8.0 and am very pleased. NO FREEZING ISSUES!!

I have an 80GB HDD it is not partitioned. I wan't to image my current data & OS on it then wipe it out so I can create a 60GB and a 20GB partition on it. On the 60GB I want the image of my current setup and on the 20GB I'm going to install another OS to create a dual-boot environment.

What is the absolute best way of going about this using ATI 8.0?

Currently I am creating an image of my 80GB HDD in ATI's boot disk mode. I am concerned since in the "commit pending operations" screen shows details of the operation under "creating partition image" listing the size as 74.52GB when on the HDD I am only using 28GB.

The fact is that I want to restore the image to a 60GB partition and this details screen has me asking will the image fit? Is the image going to be restored as 28GB or 74.52 on a 60GB partition? Also will it work in a dual-boot environment?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  2. daygo140

I have reworded my original post because I was getting no responses. Hopefully I worded this better and that it doesn't leave any support scratching their heads.

THANKS for any help you provide.

3. daygo140

Additional info that may help:

I created the image to a network drive instead on DVD's or CD's which makes me think if I have to manipulate the image (resize) it can be done.

Excuse me for I am a noobie with this program and I DID search the forums for the same question or similar one. I can't understand why I am getting no response from support.

4. Greyhair

Greyhair Registered Member

Hi Daygo,

You should certainly use True Image to make a backup image of your hard drive. Don't forget to test the image's integrity. Put the image on CD-R, DVD-R, another computer etc.

There's no need to wipe out your hard drive in order to repartition it. You want a program like Partition Magic or Boot It NG (from Terabyte Unlimited) to make the new partition. Those programs won't disturb what's on your hard drive now. BootIt has the added advantage that it will offer you a choice of which OS to boot up when you start your computer.

When the new partitions are made, and the new OS is installed, use True Image to make images of the new partitions.

5. daygo140

Isn't it better (less issues and problems) to create partitions using fdisk and starting from fresh?

If not, I searched all around for Partition Magic. I have always heard about this app but never had to use it. Question is, I noticed a pricey Symantec/Norton version of it and always thought that the one everyone raves about wasn't made by Symantec. Where can I download the best version, probably the one you re referring to, of Partition Magic? How much is this? I had just forked out dough for this ATI 8.0 and obviously didn't need it for what I want to accomplish. :'(

Which is better? Which is cheaper? Also regarding the quote above, I would rather have MS control which OS I boot into (don't ask), if I use the latter, do I have to use their boot chooser or I can opt not to and do it the MS way?

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello daygo140,

As you've imaged the whole of your (single partition) HD you will need to use a non destructive partitioning tool (certainly not Fdisk!!!) such as Acronis Disk Director Suite after you've restored the image, not before. When you restore that image TI will first delete any partitions already on the HD.

In fact, programs such as Disk Director Suite allow you to resize partitions without loss of data and your backup image merely acts as insurrance in case anything goes wrong (e.g. powercut midway through repartitioning).

Regards

7. daygo140

Well I broke down and got Partition Magic 8.2. How bout I just run that and create a 60 20. I won't have to even use ATI.

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

As I said above, best to image your HD first as insurrance in case things go wrong ;).

Regards

9. Greyhair

Greyhair Registered Member

Hi Daygo,

I believe Symantec recently acquired Power Quest, the manufacturer of Partition Magic.

BootIt is cheaper. I've also found it to work on drives on which Partition Magic said there were too many bad sector for PM to operate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.