Creating/Copying Snapshots

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by DVD+R, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I tried creating/copying a new snapshot, I got to the very end,and it said Access Denied" then I read I have to have full Administrator Privilages, meaning I had to type in a password, I hate having to enter a password when windows boots up to the welcome screen. Will FirstDefence create daily backup Snapshots From Primary to Secondary Snapshot, If I disable the password to log on to Windows? or do I really need it enabled to do this?

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Why don't you create a password and setup automatic login?

First create a password and then run this command: control userpasswords2. Unclick 'Users must enter a user name and password for this computer'.

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Thanks Wilbert, that helps alot, I wasnt sure how to do that, if at all possible, but now I know :thumb: Can I clarify something else? A Secondary Image was created by getting started. I read that In the event that a software coruption or system failure due to viruses, I could boot back to the Secondary Snapshot at the time it was created, and the system would be as it was before any problems arose, is this correct? as I'm thinking of creating other snapshots when I install some more software. And with the Anchored data, does that mean all my music in my files will still be on the system? I have anchored all My Document Folders/My Documents/Pictures/Music/Videos. I did read that creating a snapshot could take some time, but the secondary snapshot took just a minute or 2, then my system rebooted, and my secondary snapshot has a ? mark on it, it says active but has not yet been booted too,and its 149GB in size, is everything ok?

4. wilbertnl

That is almost correct, the system is still the same as before the reboot, the corruption is still there. You just switch to a different and separate Windows installation. You need to fix the corruption by copy/update of that snapshot.
    Yes, but I prefer to create a separate structure: c:\users\%username%\My Documents and anchor c:\users.
    When you right click on My Documents, you will be able to move the folder with it's contents.
    Another option is to place \users on a second partition.
    2 Minutes for 149 GB sounds unrealistic to me, something might be wrong.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

DVD+R, you certainly appear to understand most of the concepts about FD and how it works, but the above quoted post of your's suggests that something is wrong. I have NEVER seen a ? mark anywhere during my use of FirstDefense, and the 149gb in size of your secondary snapshot has got to be dead wrong! (unless you really do have that much data in your c:drive) o_O Don't know what is happening there.

Acadia

EDIT: OK, I see a ? mark during the update a snapshot process, only then.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

THose question marks indicate the snapshot didn't complete and is corrupt. You should be able to do another copy from Primary to Secondary, and if it completes the ? will be gone. Also look for errors and see what the log says.

8. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I tried booting to the secondary snapshot, and on screen it said NTLDR is missing press Ctrl/Alt/Delete to restart, it did this untill i rebooted back to the primary snapshot. in Logs it reports Internal FirstDefence -ISR Error please notify your technical Administrator. who is that? I'm a home user ?

Also I have some weirdness going on, my computer is idle right now,except for me writing this post, I have no programs running, and I hear a sound like something is running from inside the computer,the only discription I can give is it sounds like someone is hoovering inside my computer LOL, you know the sound that differs when you push your hoover back and forth on your carpet, Or maybe something is runing, fast and slow, its louder then lower. I'm wondering if this is the hard drive starting and stopping over and over. another discription I can give is its similar to reving a car engine, high noise when the accelerator is pressed, and decreasing when you take your foot off the pedal :blink: whatever it is I'm concerene :( d

9. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

look

i only see those when i stop a copy/create snapshot.

regarding your hd, it sent shivers down my spine while reading your post. lol :D

10. screamer

screamer Registered Member

DVD+R,

I would un-install FD-ISR. Follow instructions for complete un-install ie. not program only, the whole shebang. And do a re-install. It's a quick & painless operation. W/ regards to the noise you're hearing, sounds like your fan from here. Sometimes happens when I shut down from power switch.

hth,

...screamer

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I called the guys who built my computer for me, and the tech said go into advanced bios and check a few things like fan speed, I told him it was varying to about 3000rpm, then I told him my CPU Tempreture 61c and he told me that was way too high, and to bring it into the shop,but Ive read that a Pentium 4 Processor can be up to 75c in temperature: I'm running this rig here: can you tell me if 61 degrees celcius is too high for my specifications, or are they normal?

PS-0264 Enhanced Intel 460w EPS Power Suply
    GA-8i925X-G925 Chipset Audio/Lan/Serial ATA To Suit LGA775
    BX80547PG3600E P4 3.62Ghz Prescott LGA775
    KVR533 DZNYKZ-1Gb DDR533 DDR2 Kingston
    ATI-Redeon G-Cube X800XT 256MB PCI-Express VID Card
    HDD-1614C SAMSUNG SATA 7200RPM
    PIO-DVR 108BKSW Pioneer 108SW 16x DVD Burner-Dual Layer
    Liteon CDR 52x32x52
    XP Pro Service Pack 2
    Creative Audigy 2 ZS PCI Sound Card
    Z-680THZ Logitech Speakers
    Samsung Sync Master 193P 19" LCD monitor

Also I opened up my computer, cleaned all the filters, they were covered in dust, and cleaned the fan blades, they were dusty too. then I reformatted my Hard drive. at the moment theres nothing installed except my drivers and its Idle and purring like a kitten, I wonder what will happen when I load stuff up again....

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running an AMD but the temp you posted is to high, it will definatly shorten the life of the Processor.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I also am running an AMD processor, Athlon 64 FX 62 chip and at idle it's averaging 42c between both cores.

14. wilbertnl

My baby is running at system 33 C/91 F and CPU 38 C/100 F.
    AMD Sempron 2300+

In the summer it's higher. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.