Creating a Firewall Rule with Remote Admin Tool for VNC

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by rlangle, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlangle

rlangle Registered Member

Hi

Yesterday I purchased ESET Smart Security for our multi site, office network. I have successful installrf the server and console applications along with the actual software on 4 of our remote PC's.

On these 4 PC's I no longer access them via VNC on port 5900, as these machines are remote I am using the Configuration Editor for Clients option in the Remote Administrator Tool. I have created a configuration file, however when I try to add a 'rule' for port 5900 under Personal Firewall / Setup / Rule Setup it does not appear in the list of rules?

Any ideas?

Once this works I will then send the config file to the remote client and then hopefully I will be able to access via vnc

Thanks

Rob

2. rlangle

rlangle Registered Member

I have worked out what I was doing wrong, so I thought I would document this for any other newbies.

On the screen for adding the rule there is some text at the top stating 'Rules define how the firewall..... Toggle detailed view of all rules'
    nod32_2.jpg

Guess its obvious to the more experienced user, as I said we only purchased this a few days ago.

By clicking this hyperlink I could see my rule :) so I guess it was always there.
    nod32_1.jpg

The reason it was not working is because I had the mode set to Automatic, I have sinced changed the mode from to interactive, though I am not sure why this has fixed it.

I thought interactive meant a popup would prompt the user to create a rule for new apps as they are run for the first time?

Now after uploading my new config to my remote clients I can now access them with VNC

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.