creating a bootable rescue medium

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by babel17, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babel17

babel17 Registered Member

Hello.
    I an new to True Image. I just purchased and installed True Image 8, build 796. I was able to create an image on an external hard drive but I have been unable to burn a bootable rescue CD.

When I try to create the CD I receive the error message:

"Error burning the bootable CD-R/CD-RW".

This problem occurred in two separate recorders connected to this computer.

I could not locate any troubleshooting for the bootable rescue media in the help file so I e-mailled Acronis. Their reply stated:

Hello,

Thank you for using Acronis software.

"Please try to use the next tips to solve your problem:
    - Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the application;
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc and open the tray;
    - Insert a disc and then click the OK button
    to close the tray automatically as well.

If that doesn't help then we also recommend you to update your
    third party CD writing software if any to the latest version
    available for free on its respective web site.

Please also note that you should use a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW
    in order to create a bootable rescue disc."

I tried everything in the first paragraph with no results.

I didn't update my burning software because both my Nero and my Roxio work fine under all other burning situations. For that matter, I don't even know which of the two programs Acronis was attempting to use to burn the CD (if it was using either at all).

Regarding the third paragraph, I assume that when a blank CD comes off the spindle from the store it is unformatted?

My next step was to uninstall the entire program and reinstall it. No change. No rescue CD. Same error message.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my next step should be ?

2. KCXLT

KCXLT Registered Member

Just to make sure you understood what he meant, cause I had the same problem, when it comes time to put the blank cd in you can opent the cdrw with the button, put the disk in, and then hit the proceed button on the screen. This will close the cd tray, and hopefully start the burn. It worked for me that way, although I don't know why its such a chore to make a cdrw.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi,

Most of the possible workaround are detailed in this fairly long <previous thread>. If you've installed and are running the latest version of InCD, the option to disable Windows inbuilt CD recording feature (mentioned in the thread) won't be available as the Recording tab has been replaced by an InCD tab.

Regards

4. babel17

I just found the solution in another forum and it was exactly what KCXLT suggested: put the CD in the burner bay but leave the bay open . Click "proceed" on the Acronis program and let Acronis close the burner bay door . The CD will spin up and the bootable rescue CD will burn. This is the only method out of many attempted workarounds that allowed me to burn the CD

Menorcaman, thank you for your reply. I'm not sure if I correctly understood the thread that you linked to, but it appears that some of the posters in that thread are suggesting the opposite approach. That definately did not work for me. I do note that at least one of the posters in that thread received the same reply from Acronis that I did. Those suggestions didn't work for me either.

5. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

Actually, Acronis's reply also said to not close the tray yourself:

"- Proceed until the program asks for a disc and open the tray;
    - Insert a disc and then click the OK button
    to close the tray automatically as well."

They said OK button, but maybe meant Proceed button, I don't remember which it is. But that's what they meant as well, same as what KCXLT clarified for you.

6. babel17

You're right!

I mised the implication, that I was to let Acronis close the tray for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.