Creating a Backup Location

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ricicle5, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricicle5

ricicle5 Registered Member

I've just upgraded to True Image 10 and have been trying to set up my 120GB Formac external USB hardrive as the Backup Location, but it doesn't seem to work at all for my daily differential backups o_O . Older backups are not deleted - the disk just gets full.

I wondered if that might be because I've specified the location of the drive as its drive letter only, ie g:\ , and not a folder on the drive itself?

Can anybody help me please?

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

ricicle5,

Go back and edit your scheduled task, when you get to the “Backup Archive Location” screen, look for "Backup Locations", near the top of the directory tree, and point your task there. It should say "no name is required in this location" in the Folder dialog box near the bottom of the screen. Do not select it under G:\. (If this is in the manual, I've missed it over and over, which is entirely possible.)

CF

3. ricicle5

Thanks CF. Not saving into a specified folder shouldn't be a problem then?

4. CatFan432

I've tested it both ways, it seems to work fine. I've got mine set up as folders, mainly because I have more than one backup task set up using the Backup Location feature.

5. ricicle5

Cheers CF! :D

6. zetta

zetta Registered Member

CF
    Thank you for being observant. This is definitely NOT in the manual. And it surely should be there!

7. eliotrtow

eliotrtow Registered Member

Hi ricicle5 - Have you gotten your problem solved? I couldn't tell. I think I have the same, or a similar issue. I want to have a full backup and one differential each day. I want the old differentials to be automatically deleted so that one exists at a time. I have not been able to get the old differential backups to go away. Are you trying to do the same thing? Have you succeeded? If yes, any hints or tips? I know I have selected a managed b/u location. I have "maximum number of backups" set to 2. I have "Location size quota" and "storage period limits" unchecked.

Thanks!

Wooleysdad

8. CatFan432

Wooleysdad,

A couple of questions: Have you set up your backups as scheduled tasks that you are running manually? And are your backup files named in this format: 2007_01_17_06_25_14_666D.TIB ? -CF

9. eliotrtow

Hey CF - Thanks much for the interest.

Yes to both quesitons.

This backup is a scheduled task. I have run it manually (clicking the checked flag) and as a scheduled backup. Do you think running manually affects the results?

And that is the format of the backup file names: for example, 2007_01_11_23_00_18_171D6.TIB

Wooleysdad

10. CatFan432

Wooleysdad,

Can you confirm that your task is set up like the attached? If so, I'll spend a little time later today and see if I can duplicate your problem with some small test backups.

EDIT: I just asked about running manually because that was the only way I could see that you could do what you're trying to do.

Attached Files:

• Dif.jpg
      Dif.jpg
      File size:
      72.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  11. eliotrtow

CF - Didn't realize you could attach images. That's good (but don't know how after very little effort).

My task is like the attached EXCEPT "Create a new full backup after..." is not checked.

Thaks again!

WD

12. CatFan432

Hopefully checking that will get you the results you're after. Glad to help. -CF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.