Create raw drive image of Android tablet?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by winkosmosis, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winkosmosis

winkosmosis Registered Member

Is it possible to create a raw image of an Android tablet, preferably onto an SD card? I'd like to create a complete raw image, including empty sectors, in case I need to recover files. For Windows there are many programs for this, like Easis and DriveImageXML, but what about Android?

Or is there a way to mount the tablet as a USB hard drive with raw sectors visible to Windows?

2. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

3. winkosmosis

Thanks but it looks like this only copies files over, doesn't create an image. I can't get that method to work anyway

4. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Just GUESSING since I don't know. I think the answer is NO, because Windows sees Android tablets as Media devices and not storage.
    Probably the closest you can come to what you want for restoring is CWM backup. CWM stores to external SD card.

5. winkosmosis

CWM does seem to make an image but I can't find any info on imaging the internal SD to an external one. I may try emailing the developer and asking about that capability.

6. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

try HDDRawCopy there is a portable version too

8. winkosmosis

I think I found a method. Do you guys think this method will do what I want, copy the relevant partitions byte for byte?

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/32202/android-system-partition-image-on-pc-or-sdcard

Here's how to get a system dump from Android:
    Prepare Your PC

Ensure that your computer has the most recent version of the Java Development Kit installed. If it doesn't, download and install the most recent JDK from Oracle's Java SE Downloads page.
    Navigate to the Download the Android SDK page on the Android Developers website in a Web browser and download the installer package to your computer. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the installation prompts.
    Navigate in Windows Explorer to the location where you installed the SDK. By default, this is CProgram Files\Android\android-sdk.
    Double-click the SDK Manager to launch it. In the left pane file tree, check the box next to "Android SDK Platform-tools." Click "Install Packages." A confirmation window appears. Click the radio button next to "Accept All." Click "Install." A progress bar appears.

Prepare Your Phone

Press your phone's menu button from the Home screen. Tap "Settings." The Settings menu appears.
    Tap "Applications." In the Application Settings menu, tap "Development."
    Check the box next to "USB Debugging" in the Development menu.

Get a System Dump

Press "R" and the Windows key simultaneously on your PC keyboard to bring up the Run box. Type "cmd."
    Type the following into the command window:
    cd CProgram Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
    Type "adb.exe shell."
    Type su dd if=/dev/block/stl6 of=/sdcard/factoryfs.rfs at the ABD shell prompt. Replace "/sdcard/factoryfs.rfs" with the location to copy the file to if you don't want it on the phone's SD Card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.