"Create new full backup every X" does not work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mrQQ, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrQQ

mrQQ Registered Member

TI 2009. I have a task which does differential backups of C drive. I enabled to create new full backup every 7 backups. I run this task from command line.

It never creates a new full backup.

2. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

How do you do that?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mrQQ,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

What is the build number of your Acronis software? You can check it navigating mouse cursor to upper line of the program then press ALT + left mouse button -> Help -> About

Also, please provide us with the log file of the 8th operation, when a full backup file should has been created. You can attach the file to your post.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

4. MKairys

I have the same issue so if you will allow I shall jump in. I have an incremental task scheduled to run weekdays backing up to "User.tib" and set for full after 8 incrementals. When it got to the ninth incremental, it made an incremental User10.tib instead of a full User(1).tib as I expected.

At that time I used schedmgr to clean out my tasks as follows:

schedmgr task zap
    schedmgr service stop
    schedmgr service uninstall
    schedmgr service install
    schedmgr service start

I then recreated the incremental task, starting it with a new archive User(1).tib, and set it for full after 8 incrementals.

Again when it got to the ninth incremental, it made an incremental User(1)10.tib instead of a full User(2).tib as I expected. This time I deleted User(1)10.tib and ran the task again. On the second run it created a full User(2).tib.

I have attached the log files from both runs, the scheduled one that created User(1)10.tib and the manual one that created User(2).tib. I note that they seem to be identical.

I am up to User(2)3.tib so in a week or so I will see if I get User(3).tib or User(2)10.tib. In the meantime any suggestions are welcome.

View attachment 2009-04-20-190156.log
    View attachment 2009-04-20-203855.log

5. mrQQ

mrQQ Registered Member

my build number is 9709.

6. Acronis Support

Hello all,

MKairys, please be informed that commands are used to stop\start the responsible services in your OS, they are not related to tasks themselves.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (9709), which is available here. To get access to updates you should first register Acronis software.

MKairys and mrQQ, which locations are you using to store the backups?

Have you tried to update the scheduler as described below?

1. Download Acronis Scheduler, which is a special utility to update the scheduler service;
    2. Extract the downloaded file and run install.bat. The utility will automatically update the service;
    3. Reboot the machine;
    4. Recreate the scheduled tasks.

We are looking forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

7. Snapshot

Snapshot Registered Member

I have a similar problem with build 8101 - I have ATI 11 scheduled to do a full backup on the last Sunday of every month but it is not reliable. One month it will run successfully, the next it won't and there is no entry in the log to say why it hasn't run. The Acronis Scheduler 2 service is running.

Will installing the scheduler update help me?

8. MKairys

External USB drive. And I am using build 9709.

When I do so, how do you recommend I ensure that the task picks up the correct place in the chain of incrementals? For example, the last slice I have on disk is User(2)3.tib. I want the next one to be User(2)4.tib, and I want the task to start with a full (User(3).tib) after User(2)9.tib.

9. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Snapshot, please update the scheduler, this should solve the problem.

MKairys, I recommend you to update the scheduler too. In this case you should re-create your tasks, and you should pick out the present archives when you select the target for the backup. Acronis True Image Home 2009 stores information about the backup archives in a metadata information database, and this database should associate the new archives with the old ones. Therefore, the chain consistency shouldn't be affected.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

10. MKairys

My incremental task successfully "turned the corner" after nine incrementals last night, so I hope I'm good to go now. I'll keep the advice above in reserve just in case.

11. Acronis Support

Hello MKairys,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are really glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

12. mrQQ

mrQQ Registered Member

Hello,

I do not use acronis scheduller.

I use same scheduller for all my needs and tasks and see no reason to have a custom scheduller for every application.

I run the task as follows:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageHomeService.exe" /script:"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts\CE058F71-045E-4402-B337-822E2B77525F.tib.tis"

Here is the script:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <batch>
    	<version>
    	</version>
    	<uuid>
    		CE058F71-045E-4402-B337-822E2B77525F
    	</uuid>
    	<display>
    		C Disk Backup
    	</display>
    	<description>
    		C Disk Backup
    	</description>
    	<priority>
    		normal
    	</priority>
    	<stage>
    		<description>
    			My Computer Backup
    		</description>
    		<user_command>
    			<command enabled="false" />
    		</user_command>
    		<operations>
    			<backup check_after="true">
    				<archive_options check_network_timeout="true" id="0" network_timeout="0">
    					<volumes_locations>
    						<volume_location uri="T:\Backup\System\c_image.tib" volume_id="0" />
    					</volumes_locations>
    				</archive_options>
    				<common_options allow_multi_volume_snapshot="false" allow_reset_archive_bit="false" app_settings_backup="false" description="" exclude_by_mask="true" exclude_hidden="false" exclude_system="false" execution_count="6" fast_incremental="true" ignore_encryption="false" increment_type="differential" ocb="false" rotation_count="7" rotation_scheme="1" skip_security="true" smart_backup="false" use_vss="false">
    					<file_mask pattern="*.bak" />
    					<file_mask pattern="*.~" />
    					<file_mask pattern="*.tmp" />
    					<file_mask pattern="*.tib" />
    					<file_mask pattern="C:\Garmin\*.*" />
    					<file_mask pattern="C:\eboostr.dat" />
    					<file_mask pattern="C:\hiberfil.sys" />
    					<stream_options allow_silent_media="false" cache_network_write="false" compression_level="normal" encryption_algorithm="none" format="tib" ignore_bad_sectors="true" silent_asz_cleanup="false" silent_mode="false" type="disk">
    						<net_speed_limit speed_limit_mode="percent" value="100" />
    						<disk_speed_limit speed_limit_mode="percent" value="100" />
    					</stream_options>
    				</common_options>
    				<disk_source has_asz_backup="false" sector_by_sector_backup="false" sector_by_sector_backup_unallocated="false">
    					<holder strid="\local\hd_sign(DF0F7DB9)\part_sn(A87E5236ACA87E89)start(63)" />
    				</disk_source>
    			</backup>
    		</operations>
    		<user_command>
    			<command enabled="false" />
    		</user_command>
    	</stage>
    	<common_options>
    		<notify>
    			<email address="algkep@gmail.com" enabled="1" encryption-type="none" from="" long_format="1" pop-before-smtp="false" pop-server="" pop-server-port="110" server="smtp.dokeda.lt" server-port="25" subject="Acronis*True*Image*Home Notification from qq-at-home" user="">
    				<notify_mode full_log="true" operation_complete="true" operation_fail="true" operation_message="true" />
    			</email>
    			<winpopup enabled="1" long_format="1" server="">
    				<notify_mode full_log="false" operation_complete="true" operation_fail="true" operation_message="true" />
    			</winpopup>
    		</notify>
    		<show_only_own_task enabled="0" />
    		<shutdown_after do="0" />
    	</common_options>
    </batch>

I dont know what happened, but now it doesnt create incremental archives at all, simply updates existing file.

Why is it so difficult for it to do these trivial tasks..?

13. MKairys

Well, perhaps not. Last night my incremental task which is set to create a new full after 9 incrementals, created a new full after 7 instead.

14. Acronis Support

Hello mrQQ,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image Home 2009

I may recommend you the following workaround. Delete all schedule tasks from folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts\

Then update Acronis scheduler using links above and create new schedule tasks.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

15. MKairys

Do you also recommend this to me, given that my problem seems to be intermittent (and how can that be??)

And where is the scripts folder on Vista?

16. mrQQ

mrQQ Registered Member

But I'm not even using Acronis Scheduller. I start the tasks from command line. Will it help?

Latest issue is that it never creates new files, it always just updates the existing file, even I have selected "differential" backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.