Create media on USB FlashDrive (local disk)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RAltman, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAltman

RAltman Registered Member

I am attempting to create a bootable USB rescue drive (using the create rescue media wizard) on a USB flashdrive. This particular drive is identified by XP as "local disk"; which, apparently, cannot be used by the create media wizard.

The "local disk" vs. "removable media" designation is part of the flash drive's firmware:

http://www.no-install.com/modules.p...ewtopic&t=85&highlight=lexar jumpdrive secure

Question 1: Is it true that the create rescue media wizard only uses removable drive types?

Question 2: Is there a way to treat this drive as a hard disk, make it bootable, and install TI9 (like the recovery partition).

And, to the obvious answer of "get a different flash drive"... that isn't an option. I'm creating a proof-of-concept demo for this type of drive; saying we should switch flash drives is the same as saying "it can't be done" (which I do not believe is true).

Thanks.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello RAltman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that is a USB flash card is formatted as a removable media, not a hard disk drive (a hard disk drive contains a partition table), then Bootable Media Builder should be able to use it to create a rescue media. The flash card can be used to boot a computer then, if the computer BIOS supports booting from a USB device.

You may also find this threads useful.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. korona

korona Registered Member

You may need to check if your machine's BOIS allows booting from an USB Device.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.