create bootable DVD True Image OEM

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RichieP, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichieP

RichieP Registered Member

I'm installing the OEM version onto laptops, using the command prompt.

The laptops don't have CD or DVD writers, so I've got True Image to create the recovery.iso on C: then copy it to a computer with a DVD writer.

However, I can't get the ISO to be a bootable DVD. I'm using Nero and have tried using the DVD(boot) option, loading a boot.ima file downloaded from the web.

Any suggestions please?

It's pretty pointless having True Image if the only option is to stick the recovery in a hidden partition at the end of the hard drive, as it's unusable if the hard drive dies.

Many thanks.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello RitchieP,

Any reason why you want to record the ISO to DVD rather than CD (a DVD burner will handle both types)?

In any case, whichever media you decide to use, run Nero Burning ROM and from the Menu bar select Recorder > Burn image. Next, browse to the required ISO file and select Open, then in the following screen choose either CD or DVD from the drop down list and away you go :cool:.

Regards

3. RichieP

Thanks for the quick reply.

I want to burn to DVD because it means less disks. The recovery iso is split into 2, one 2000, the other 1300mb.

I've just manged to get it to do that.

However, when it booted from the DVD I pressed F11 to get ito the startup recover manager it said Acronis Loader fatal error: Boot drive (partition) not found. Press <Enter> to try to boot your OS...

It does boot into the OS OK.

I deleted the partition created by Acronis because I want to try to emulate a failed drive and rewriting the image to a new drive.

Is this not possible with the OEM version?

Thanks.

4. Menorcaman

Can you explain what you mean by "recovery iso" and how you created it? It seems this is more than just the normal Acronis bootable rescue media we are talking about (which easily fits on 1 CD).

Regards

5. RichieP

Not sure how much you know about installing and using the OEM version using the command prompt?

Basically, I extract the program rather than install, then type the command to install, including the line cdimage=c:\recoveryimage.iso split=2000

Split tells it to divide up the iso if it's over 2000mb, as iso formats limit the size to this.

As far as I know, this iso created on c:\ contains the same information as that in the recovery partition, but can be used to boot from in the event of disk failure.

Hope that helps.

6. Menorcaman

Sorry Ritchie but I'm afraid this is new to me. Hopefully Acronis Support or someone else who knows will chip in soon.

Regards

7. RichieP

No probs.

Thanks for your input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.