Create BartPE without my orig Win XP install disk??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by raybaron, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raybaron

raybaron Registered Member

Hello out there:

I'm Trying to create a BartPE disk because the Linux USB drivers are giving me headaches verifying a backup from TI's Rescue CD.

I recently bought a used Gateway laptop but do not have the original Windows XP Pro SP2 Rescue Disks and see no cabinet files on my HD. I do however, have a pre-SP1 Win XP Pro Iinstall CD from another system that I no longer use. The older system is in FL and I'm in PA.

I tried creating a BartPE from the older install CD but it complained about a file version mismatch on a few files. I understand this since the CD was bought when XP first came out about 6 years ago. Is there a workaround? Can I create a BartPE CD from a Win 98 SE install disk? Or, if I use the pre SP1 XP Pro install CD could I copy the (older) files in question from my laptop to a copy of my older install CD based upon what BartPE complains about during the creation of the new boot CD (this seems very time consuming). I have RC1 of Windows Vista running on another partion but TI 10.0 is not Vista-compatible yet. Are there any solutions out there? Can I create a Win XP Pro Bart PE CD from Vista or 98? I have access to another Win XP Home system but ony have the rescue disk set from that system. Not a real "install CD" Is that the way to go? Some stuff for you experts to ponder....:D

BTW,
    my verifies pass (and restore!!) if I do the backups from the Linux bootable CD rather than XP but I'd rather do the backups from XP.

thx,
    Ray

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You need at least SP1 preferably SP2 to build a BartPE disk. I suggest you use Autostreamer http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562 to slipstream SP2 into your pre SP1 disk. Autostreamer will create an ISO that you can burn to CD and use that as your source. Download one of Mustang' TI plugins http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/ for use with BartPE.

3. raybaron

raybaron Registered Member

Hi!

Thx for the info! I built a BartPE CD after using Autostreamer to merge my old pre-SP1 WinXP Pro Cd with SP2 and all went well. I can now back up using TI 10 running on my PC and verify/restore from an external USB drive using the BartPE Cd. Thx again for your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.