CRC32,MD5,SHA-1 not identical

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bmw328ii, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmw328ii

bmw328ii Registered Member

Hi all,

i have made some tests on our True Image Server.
    The Server has two Harddisk. I copied a true image file of 19,5 GB onto the
    second harddisk. I have downloaded and installed the Checksum MD5 Program from Acronis Website and make a turn on both files laying on different harddisks.
    The result are different CRC32,MD5 and SHA-1 Checksums,but
    the size of the files are identical. How this can be?

The Server has a ASUS A7V133 Mainboard with Athlon 1 GHz and onboard Promise ULTRA DMA 100 Controller.

Does somebody have an idea who this can be? Have I am done something wrong?

Greetings
    bmw328ii

2. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Registered Member

One of the images is corrupt.

If you have version 8 it has a image checking utility built in.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi bmw328ii,

Nightcrawler is correct. The image file became corrupted (changed) during the copy between the two drives. If nothing else, download a copy of <Memtest86+> and run it for a few hours/overnight. There should be no errors shown in the results.

Regards

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bmw328ii,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The problem is usually connected with the hardware problems as mentioned above. In your case it either drive cables, drive controller or memory. When you copy the file it becomes corrupted but the size remains the same because some bytes are replaced with others. In this case the size will be the same while checksums are different.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I would guess that there is a memory problem and the previous suggestion of running a memory checker might provide the answer.

I have the same motherboard in a standalone PC in non RAID mode and can not reliably create TrueImage archive files with current (or previous) builds of TI 8.
    I am currently testing with the latest build (826) of bootable rescue CD and getting various errors displayed (which were not displayed in previous builds).
    Acronis has been working on fixing problems with at least one ASUS RAID motherboard and it appears that in the process they might have added some more error checking.
    From your description it seems this is not related to your problem but wonder if you might be experiencing other problems.
    If so, note that there have been new builds of various Server versions in last 3 or 4 weeks. If you haven't already done so it might be worth testing the latest build for your version. Server log files might provide some error info.
    I will be providing Acronis with details of errors when I log a support request in a few days.

Another possiblility for your file copy problem:
    I previously discussed my ASUS problem in another thread and it was suggested by wdormann that it could be related to known BIOS and VIA chipset problems which were apparently fixed back in 2001. Look at the links in https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=408610&postcount=16
    I've been using this motherboard for 3 years without any problems copying between disks or any other unresolved problems (except for what I'm convinced is a problem with TrueImage 8 supporting this motherboard). So maybe early versions of the motherboard had BIOS issues. You might want to check you've got latest BIOS and VIA chipset software.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  6. bmw328ii

Hi all,

I have checked the machine with memtest over night. There is no error.
    I looked at the configuration and noticed that there is a Adaptec SCSI Controller 39160 in there. All disks are connected to this controller. So the failure cannot be from Promise Onboard Controller.
    I am running latest version of boot cd and Acronis.
    BIOS from ASUS is on latest BETA Version. VIA Driver are also latest.

Don´t know how to proceed now.

Greetings bmw328ii

7. Acronis Support

Hello bmw328ii,

If the memory is ok, then I would examine your SATA controller. If it is possible please plug your controller to another computer and test it there by creating a large file (.tib file or an archive file) and copying it to the second disk.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. bmw328ii

Hi,

there is no SATA Controller. The disks are attachted to Adaptec 39160 SCSI Controller. The server is running for years without any problem. The Controller is also okay. I can´t test the controller because server is still needed every day. How can i check the controller without unpluging?

Greetings bmw328ii

9. Acronis Support

Hello bmw328ii,

I am sorry for the mistake, I ment SCSI (not SATA) controller, that was a typo. Please create large file on one of the disks attached to the controller and then copy to the other one. After that get checksums of these files, compare them and let us know the result. Please note that the problem may appear only with large files (several gigabytes) that is why ordinary applications could still work correctly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.