Crash in NOD32 in Beta 2.5.2 and .7

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by arghwashier, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arghwashier

arghwashier Guest

I tried both beta .2 and .7 and in both versions the on-demand scan does not work for me.

Win XP Pro SP2/Outpost Firewall 2.6 , do you need any other info?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

arghwashier

What antivirus are you using?

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Maybe you could try disabling archives in the on-demand scanner setup to see if it makes a difference.

4. arghwashier

arghwashier Guest

I used a clean install, the only other antivirus I had installed was the trial version of NOD32.

It is only the on demand scanner that crashes, not any of the other modules (yet)

(BTW, I had some serious issues de-installing, safe-mode didn't even work anymore, so I had to go back to a ghost from a few weeks ago, I give the beta another go :p)

5. rothko

rothko Registered Member

hi,

maybe try unticking the email files option from nod32 scanner settings - i had a problem with the scanner where it would just close part way through scanning and i narrowed it down to a mailbox file. only happened on my laptop though, didnt have the same problem scanning the file on my PC. My problem has disappeared using the new 2.5.7 beta though

lee

6. arghwashier

arghwashier Guest

I can't reach the options, the on demand scanner crashes before I can change anything.

7. arghwashier

arghwashier Guest

Anyway when I choose in depth scan it crashes right after checking memory, when I choose run nod32 it almost imidiately crashes; maybe this helps to localize the problem a bit more...

8. arghwashier

arghwashier Guest

My other specs Dell Dimension 4600/ ATI 9600 XT/ Sounblaster Audigy 2/ USB DSL Modem

9. rabmail

rabmail Registered Member

Beta 2.5.2 was and 2.5.7 now is running perfectly for me on an IBM ThinkPad T41p running Win XP Pro SP2. No issues at all.

Dick

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I have a reasonably similar machine- Dim 4500, 1GB RAM, ASUS ATI 9600 XT, standard sound, router. What other realtime security processes (if any) are running? Like many others, rock solid so far. I did have problems with beta #2, they are gone.

Blue

11. arghwashier

arghwashier Guest

None, I tried it om an an almost clean install of windows only with Office, my dsl, Outpost and the trial version of NOD

12. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Just saw this and thought I would jump in to say that I also experienced similar problems when I installed and ran NOD32 v2.5.2 on a very robust PC.

Before installing the beta, I was using Symantec AV Corp Client, but I disabled it before installing the NOD beta. Other than WinXP SP2, also in common with arghwashier is that I'm also using Outpost Pro v2.61.

I'm sorry that I can't provide any more details, but after two successive crashes I decided not to chance it any further and removed the NOD beta (re-enabling SAVC).

13. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

pvsurfer,

These are very likely two different issues. Anecdotal evidence is that a complete uninstall, not a simple disable, is the only way SAV seems to play well with other applications. It might be possible to shutdown all the appropriate processes, services, and drivers, but an uninstall is cleaner if possible.

Obviously arghwashier is facing some issues. If he's game, I'd try another download to verify that it wasn't corrupted (assuming that's not been done already). I also run Outpost, so I don't believe it is ewith that application, but minor things can converge to yield a major problem. It is curious that the problem is with the NOD32 scanner, that is the last module with which I'd expect to see a problem.

Blue

14. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

You should do a complete uninstall of Symantec rather than just disabling it. Too many times I have seen bad things happen with that software.

I don't know what version of NAV you are running but if it's 2004/2005 it's junk. Do a complete uninstall, clean out your registry and then do a clean install of NOD32 beta.

HTH,

Jag

15. arghwashier

arghwashier Guest

Hmmm, something strange happened my images weren't working anymore, had to totally re-install windows. I might try a different time installing the beta, maybe the next one....

16. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

you have strange problems....and I don't think they are nod32 related, to be honest. But: good luck!

17. arghwashier

arghwashier Guest

I figured this one out probably had something to do with the repartioning of my multiple HD's.

18. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

well, that's good news then. Congrats!

19. arghwashier

arghwashier Guest

The image problem, I mean not the problem with the scanner. I did a totally new install but I'm afraid to try again with NOD. I don't want to tempt faith to much, it took one beautiful and sunny Saturday to re-install everything again. Maybe if people have an idea what causing the scanner again and how to fix it I might try again...

BTW, did a notice correctly does the normal (trial) version of the NOD32 on-demand scanner, now also include "scan for potentially dangerous applications", was this included an an update?

20. arghwashier

arghwashier Guest

Well, I couldn't resist and tried .9 but still had the same problem on a pretty fresh windows install

21. arghwashier

arghwashier Guest

Another maybe related problem this might be why the scanner crashes, trial version finds

[quote
    MBR sector of the 1. physical disk contains probably unknown TSR.BOOT virus [7].[/quote]

strange...

22. gnervt

gnervt Guest

bootmanager?

23. arghwashier

arghwashier Guest

yup, it's a dual boot...

24. gnervt

gnervt Guest

yup...seems that nod has a problem with your bootmanager...please post which one/version...maybe they can fix it...
    i got similar problems if i read-protect my bootsector...(bios so called antivirus)

25. arghwashier

arghwashier Guest

it't the standard one windowsxp installs when it detects a multiple versions of windows....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.