CPU Useage

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by mzjazz2u, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mzjazz2u

mzjazz2u Registered Member

I recently installed Worm Guard and found that it doubles my cpu usage to where it is almost maxed out. Is this bad? It seems to clog things up or slow the system down. My system is set right now to where WindowsXP manages the page file. Would it help to increase the page file? I have a pretty large hard drive so I could potentially increase it quite a bit. I've also heard before that you can set the min and max page file to be the same and that sometimes helps with speed etc. (Guess I'm kind of asking about two different things here and one really doesn't have to do with Worm Guard). I'm also thinking about increasing memory. Currently have 256 MG RAM and thought I should have plenty. But maybe not?? Gosh, it just seems like we have to have more and more background programs running just to keep our PC's safe. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i doubt wormguard would increase ur cpu usage like that, so mayeb someone else can address that. as for ur other question, yes it is better to set the page file siz the same for min and max and set it to 1.5 or 2 times ur memory but theres no harm in letting windows manage it. as for memory, for me 256mb is too little (512 is good) but it really depends on how many programs u use especially those u run in the background.

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi mr jazz, WormGuard does not have a running process, it usess a .dll hook and has very little impact on system resources. You need to take a look at your Task Manager and see what particular process is using your resources.

HTH Pilli :)

4. mzjazz2u

Thanks Pilli. It's MZ Jazz though. :) I'll take a look and see what else is using resources. There's so many flippin' things in there I don't know what they are though. Isn't there a start up ID website out there somewhere? I've seen it before but can't remember where. Think I saved it at work. I'll have to look.

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Sorry about getting your handle wrong, :) MZ Jazz, I was in a bit of a hurry. You could take a screenshot and post it here, we may be able to help. :D

Pilli

6. mzjazz2u

dont worry 'bout the handle. So screen shot of my task manager/running processes? How do I do that? Actually my cpu useage is ok now. I disabled worm guard to see what would happen. But from what you're saying that has to be a fluke.

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Probably or it maybe that you have a program that does not like WG and for some reason WG causes high CPY usage. With WG running again and look at Task Manager note what program is using high CPU cycles. In WG you can add the program .exe and path to the allowed list such as.

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe - This is one that is on my list and allows System restore to run correctly on this PC

You can download an easy to use Screen capture utility such as MWsnap from here: http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

HTH Pilli :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.